Old March 4th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default Warning!! Dangerous design flaw in the 2006 Jeep Wranglers!!

You need to learn how the vehicle works by the sounds of it....

I have broken my clutch linkage on many occasions over the years and
even have been around a couple TJ's when their clutch up and died.

In 'all' these cases, we were able to dive home or at least able to
starter walk the vehicle out of the intersection! Actually the last TJ
owner that phoned me with a dead clutch in the middle of an intersection
made it out of the way and all the way home on the starter just fine....

On the older manual TJ's all you have to do is put a fuse in the 'auto'
fuse slot to allow the engine to start with the clutch pedal up or to
start in gear on purpose. This is for times when you are 'say' flooded
out on a creek crossing. You can just hit the starter with the engine
in 2nd gear and 'walk' the Jeep or even my old Volvo up out of the
creek. LOL, been there...

If you 'just' have busted linkage or loss of hydraulic fluid, then you
can 'easily' start the vehicle by just pushing down on the clutch pedal
while having the shifter in 2nd or 3rd, hit the starter and away you
go. The interlock switch is at the top of the clutch pedal. It can
just be jumpered too...

It is a bear to shift without a clutch, but 'very' possible with a firm
hand or starting in 3rd will limp you home at an easy 30 mph anyway or
get you to a shop.

My $0.02....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Tim wrote:

> Warning!! Dangerous design flaw in the 2006 Jeep Wranglers!!
>
> The 2006 six speed Jeep Wrangler has a very dangerous design flaw. New for
> the 2006 Jeep Wrangler is the six speed transmissions and what I have
> recently learned the "hard way" is part of the redesign includes the clutch
> assembly. The clutch rod comes out of the floor board and attaches to the
> clutch pedal with a clip/attachment that bolts onto the clutch pedal. The
> problem here is as part of their new design the clip or attachment piece is
> made of "plastic" and I found that it can break very easily and disable your
> Jeep. I learned this fact this last weekend and if I had been rock climbing
> or in the desert instead of in town I might not be here letting all you Jeep
> owners know about this very dangerous problem.

<snip>