Old October 5th 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Default Dies at idle...do I need I new carburator?

The idle problem doesn't connect necessarily to the pulled thread of the
carburetor stud.

Anyway, first you have to fix the stud, as this is a more serious problem.
You have to buy a helicoil insert to repair 8x1.5 mm metric thread (I'm not
100% sure if it is a 8x1.5, please someone verify this), a special tap and a
special diameter drill to enlarge the hole. The tap, the drill and some
helicoil inserts are usually sold as a set, at a reasonable price. Don't go
for a complete set which has many different sizes, as it will be very
expensive.

You need first to remove the faulty stud from the carb. Use two nuts locked
together, to unscrew the stud from the carb body. Then use the special drill
to enlarge the hole and tap it with the special tap. Then screw the helicoil
insert with the tongue-side in, using a small flathead screwdriver that fits
by the tongue. Use thread locking fluid on the helicoil. Then screw the stud
in the helicoil, and you are done.

About the idle problem.
Dying at idle means the idle circuit is not working.
Either the electromagnetic cut-off valve is defective or not getting power
(it must click when you toggle the ignition switch on and off).
Or the idle jet or idle circuit passages are blocked. You need to dismantle
the carb and use compressed air to clean the idle circuit.

The only reason to ditch a carb is if the throttle shaft bushings are
excessively worn and you can't find anybody to get it rebushed at a
reasonable price, or if it is bent / cracked / corroded. Not idling is not a
reason to replace a carb.

Bill Spiliotopoulos,
'67 Bug.