Old June 17th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 21HP B&S Engine

On Jun 17, 3:08 pm, Hal > wrote:
> > The carb is original. I checked for loose connections, and was not
> > able to see any. I also used carb cleaner near the gaskets and the RPM
> > did not pick up. The carb rebuilt kid has a couple of gaskets and two
> > needle screws. I can't see where and how to use the needle screws
> > since this carb has nothing other than the RPM adj. The idle screw and
> > high speed adj screw are not there. I really needed the idle mix
> > screw. Sadly there is a little hole but no screws in to.

> > The strange thing is that the Sears manual shows a screw there!

> Am I reading this right, there is a hole there but no screw? Either
> the screw vibrated out or there is a 'tamper' cap over the mixture
> screws that you will have to pry off to get at the adjustment and the
> hole you are seeing doesn't actually go anywhere. Do you have any
> pictures you can put up somewhere for us to look at? Have you tried
> spraying carb cleaner into the hole you are describing with the engine
> running? Any change? If so...chances are something is supposed to be
> there and it's probably out laying in your yard right now ;-)
>
> Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

The hole seems to have no treads in it. Factory smooth. It appears to
be some sort of a seal or something. I'm not sure if I can remove
that. For sure it reminds me of what car makers used to do to make
things tamper proof. If it is a tamper proof cap, how do I remove it?
In the old days we used to drill a 1/8" hole in to it. The hole size
seems just right for the screw, but it seems sealed. I'm concerned if
I drill a hole in there and there is an screw, then what

I did spray carb cleaner in the carb and things did not change.
However, when I was maintaining a slow stream of carb cleaner the
engine stopped its hunting and ran smooth. This somehow tells me I'm
not getting sufficient gas in there.