Old June 19th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hal

Default 21HP B&S Engine

> The hole seems to have no treads in it. Factory smooth. It appears to
> be some sort of a seal or something. I'm not sure if I can remove
> that. For sure it reminds me of what car makers used to do to make
> things tamper proof. If it is a tamper proof cap, how do I remove it?
> In the old days we used to drill a 1/8" hole in to it. The hole size
> seems just right for the screw, but it seems sealed. I'm concerned if
> I drill a hole in there and there is an screw, then what

No need to drill anything. Most likely what you are looking at is a
port that could have been drilled and used for another purpose on a
different model engine than yours.

> I did spray carb cleaner in the carb and things did not change.
> However, when I was maintaining a slow stream of carb cleaner the
> engine stopped its hunting and ran smooth. This somehow tells me I'm
> not getting sufficient gas in there.

Sure sounds like a plugged up idle circuit. There should be either a
removable idle jet or an idle mixture screw somewhere on the
carburetor. If not you'll have to take the carburetor off the engine,
remove the float bowl(f any) and use carb cleaner/compressed air to
try and clear all the passages.

What model engine do you have? Model/Type/ser from the fanshroud would
help.

Chris