Old July 22nd 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

Default New Panel! Should I strip it?

> wrote in message
. ..
> Hi All,
>
> New front panels for my 68 bay arrived from GSF today!
>
> I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1) Should I strip the black stuff before etch primeing it or just etch
> prime on top?
> 2) Should I use the fold over flap at the bottom like 74 bay ( would it
> make this section stronger)
> or reform the kink and weld them together like the original 68
> front end?
> I just dont know what would be best.
>
> Any ideas guys?

1) self etching primer is for bare metal...it contains acid that "etches"
the metal to give it some bite....if you don't strip the panel you don't
need self etching....you would need to properly sand the "primer" that is on
the panel and paint over it....HOWEVER the primer that comes on those panels
is more for protecting from surface rust during transport and storage than
for life long use....i strip every replacement panel i install....

2) don't re-invent the wheel....the panels should be replaced the way the
factory did it....of course there are many ways to skin a cat, so to
speak....it's your bus, so you should do what is best for it and you....i
personally like to reconstruct them the way they came....most unibody
vehicles are constructed in a certain order and fashion for rigidity and
long term strength...