Old June 4th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default 1994 VW Jetta III cranks and won't start

two weeks ago, on my way from from work, my jetta was losing coolant
due to broken hose, got overheated and stalled right after i had
parked it. now it will crank but won't start.

i first checked oil and coolant and there's no sign of blew head
gasket, checked all the fuses and replaced distributor cap & rotor and
spark plugs. the spark plugs wires have good continuity. i also
checked the timing belt and it's is in good condition and has correct
timing.

still no go

all the relays are clicking when ignition key is switched to on. the
ignition coil has primary resistance of 0.6 Ohm and secondary
resistance of 3400 Ohm and 12V output with the ignition key on.
according to haynes manual, they are within specs.

a strong smell of gas is present in the cabin when engine is cranking,
but spark plugs are dried and there's no sparks at the distributor.

and i noticed that the shift indicator in the dash board won't change
accordingly to the gear shift. and the string that looks like "1n 02"
is flashing in place of the odometer when the key turned to ON.

i spent the last two weekends fixing it to no avail

any idea will be greatly appreciated.

oh it's a jetta III GL model with 4 cyl 2.0L ABA FI engine