Old May 14th 09, 04:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ulysses

Default Using Vaseline on Battery Terminals

"Don Stauffer" > wrote in message
> jim evans wrote:
> > For years I've heard the advice to coat battery posts & terminals with
> > Vaseline to prevent corrosion. I've never done it because it seems
> > like the grease would act like an insulator and impede electrical
> > conduction between the posts and terminals.
> >
> > Do others who use it have any problems with conduction? If not, why
> > do you think that's so?

> While the vasoline MAY be squeezed out from within the connection, the
> normal way to apply it is AFTER the connection is made. That is, with
> the cable connected to the battery post, paint the vasoline around the
> connector, on all exposed lead and other metal.

While I basically agree with this statement I always put it on before
connecting the cable because I have lots of problems with corrosion and it
helps to keep that down. If it is in any way reducing the conductivity I
really can't tell. For me it works out better than to have corrosion build
up between the connector and the terminal.