Old June 12th 06, 07:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default 94 Jetta III - Transmission Fluid/Oil Level

Hey Kyle what are you in need of checking the trany oil for? Have you
noticed any problems like a leak or 5th gear popping out?

Well to answer your question, its pretty simple once you know how and
get the hang of it. Basically theres a Plug on the side of the
transmissions. It'll be on the drivers side right next to the wheel.
You'll need a 17mm Allen wrench, or homemade tool using the right size
bolt head and a couple nuts, to take it off. To get to it I'd suggest
turning the wheels all the way to the left, then there'll be a plastic
shield next to the wheel you'll have to rip out and that'll expose the
side of the trany. Basically as long as the fluid is level with that
hole then you should be good to go.

You might wanna mention your mileage. I'm not sure offhand when one
should normally replace the oil. IIRC Bentley & VW say it should last
the lifetime of the vehicle or never need replacement. But I think at
around 100k I switched over to Redline MT-90 just to be on the safe
side.