Old August 23rd 14, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Default Can I drive my car if the thermostat is bad

Shanda wrote:
> Can I drive my car if my thermostat is bad I need to take my car to get the
> part and then drive about 20 miles to have my son in law put it on is that
> gonna hurt the car

Depends on what you mean by bad. How do you know it's bad?

If it's stuck open so the engine takes a long time to heat up, then you
shouldn't have a problem other than it doesn't warm up.

If it's stuck closed so that the engine overheats then you won't want to
drive it because it will likely overheat.

IF you think it's bad because it has already gotten hot or overheated
then it may be that damage has already been done. Depends on the engine,
how hot it got and what you did when it got hot.

--
Steve W.