Old July 17th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Mark Barrett

Default Oil filter changing irritation and fuel filter question.

Some Dude > wrote:
> I have a 2002 FE XLT V8 and I am so remarkably ****ed at myself for not
> being able to easily change this oil filter. The filter wrench I have
> can barely grip it and there are hoses in the way which make it
> virtually impossible to unscrew. On top of that my last oil change was
> in a shop and they tightened the hell out of the filter (normally I
> hand screw it on tight so I don't have to go through this ordeal).
> Anyhow, are there any tricks i'm missing here?

Make sure you have an oil filter wrench that fits well. I prefer
the strap wrench but the plastic socket that fits over the end also
works. If you do your own oil changes you will get a quick feel on
how best to get the filter off. I've always thought my Explorer was
the easiest vehicle to change the oil on. Mine has over 245000 miles
and I've changed the oil every 3000 miles, ie. I've performed over 80
oil changes on this one vehicle. I've always liked that I don't have
to jack up the Explorer to gain access to the filter.
Mark