Old February 21st 10, 10:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.pictures.vehicles
Wolf K

Default Lincoln 1996 Sentinel Concept sdn (RM-lot 255) rsr clip .JPG(1/1)-5-5

Paddy's Pig wrote:
> "Max Magister" > wrote in message
>> You know, as I was making my comment I thought about the overwhelming
>> grille on this concept and wondered if I should maybe have mentioned how
>> much I disliked it and how it simply didn't fit with the rest of the
>> design. What I was referring to in particular was the sharp fender lines,
>> based on the beautiful and simple Continentals starting in 1961. That's
>> the look Lincoln should be aiming for and the silly split grille homage
>> going back to the thirties should be trashed ASAP.
>>
>> Before my previous lease ended I did an extended test drive in a new
>> Lincoln MkSomething (the one based on the Ford Fusion) but couldn't get
>> over the grille they'd grafted onto it to replace the previous simple
>> design. It was nice enough inside, had plenty of toys included, but it
>> really did feel just like a padded Ford Fusion. Mind you, the amazing off
>> the top discounts were pretty enticing until one took into account what
>> they would do to the residual value. No, they haven't quite found their
>> way yet and unless they get to it quickly it won't matter at all.

> Right now I think Ford Motor is about as viable as any car company you can
> find. Or more so.

Agreed, they know something, mostly having to do with price-quality
ratio, I think. We drive an '05 Escape AWD V6, and like it; In fact I'd
like a new(er) one, because more recent models are quieter, have better
fuel economy, and much better stability control (according to the
reviews I've read.) Can't afford a newer one yet (I like to pay cash for
my cars), and anyhow it has another 100K clicks or so in it, I think.
I've become fanatical about regular servicing, which increases longevity
and then some. Our previous car, a '97 Taurus, had 240,000km when I sold
it to a former son-in-law. We would've kept it, but we wanted a car we
could more easily get in and out of, what with knee joints approaching
70 years of continuous use... ;-)

cheers,
wolf k.