Old November 5th 11, 06:51 AM posted to aus.cars,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bernd Felsche[_2_]

Default Starter solenoid current?

Paul Saccani > wrote:
>Bernd Felsche wrote:

>>Something I don't know ... and can't seem to find out all that
>>easily.
>>
>>I'm trying to figure out the current draw by the starter solenoid,
>>(not the starter motor) at terminal 50.
>>
>>It's powered through the ignition switch in the Golf GTI but the 4mm
>>wiring has me baffled. That's too much current to go through a
>>little ignition switch if the wire is sized for current capacity.
>>
>>So I assume it's sized to avoid voltage drop, which leaves me none
>>the wiser regarding the current actually drawn by the starter
>>solenoid.

>Easiest way to find out is to stick a clamp meter on it. If you don't
>have one, as usual, I can offer to loan you one and you can decline
>the offer.

I've got one. Actually, a couple.

>It also depends on what timescale you want to look at. As an
>inductive rather than resistive load, the current can have quite wild
>transients, but for average current, 3 to 10 A would be typical for a
>pre-engaged starter, and a clamp meter would be able to provide the
>average current no worries.

>If you do want to know in more detail, and inductive probe and a
>storage oscilloscope and a good deal of calculation would be needed.
>A short loan of the equipment is possible....

Please stop trying to lend me stuff. Everything that I've ever
borrowed uses up space in my shed. ;-)

I also have a hand-held, digital 'scope. One of the clamp meters has
peak-hold -- I'd forgotten about that. It might do the trick.

Well, it'd tell me the current through the circuit. Which isn't
necessarily the same current that'll be drawn when the long wire is
replaced with a short one and a transistor switch.
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | For every complex problem there is an
X against HTML mail | answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
/ \ and postings | --HL Mencken