Old June 19th 07, 06:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 21HP B&S Engine

On Jun 18, 8:48 pm, Hal > wrote:
> > The hole seems to have no treads in it. Factory smooth. It appears to
> > be some sort of a seal or something. I'm not sure if I can remove
> > that. For sure it reminds me of what car makers used to do to make
> > things tamper proof. If it is a tamper proof cap, how do I remove it?
> > In the old days we used to drill a 1/8" hole in to it. The hole size
> > seems just right for the screw, but it seems sealed. I'm concerned if
> > I drill a hole in there and there is an screw, then what

> No need to drill anything. Most likely what you are looking at is a
> port that could have been drilled and used for another purpose on a
> different model engine than yours.
>

> > I did spray carb cleaner in the carb and things did not change.
> > However, when I was maintaining a slow stream of carb cleaner the
> > engine stopped its hunting and ran smooth. This somehow tells me I'm
> > not getting sufficient gas in there.

> Sure sounds like a plugged up idle circuit. There should be either a
> removable idle jet or an idle mixture screw somewhere on the
> carburetor. If not you'll have to take the carburetor off the engine,
> remove the float bowl(f any) and use carb cleaner/compressed air to
> try and clear all the passages.
>
> What model engine do you have? Model/Type/ser from the fanshroud would
> help.
>
> Chris

The tractor is 917.271832. Engine is B&S 461707 type number 0147-E1.
Carb is B&S 693479.

If I could find the idle mix screw, I can make the correct adj. The
issue is that there are no adj screws other then one
for RPM. No mixture adj. All the diagrams, including the Sears one
show a key no. 147, part number 693508 Jet-Pilot.

However on the carb itself there is no such part. I'm completely
amazed. Even a Haynes small engine manual shows where a 4 screw gas
pump carb (exactly like mine) would have the mix adj. All the info on
the web, the Sears manual and the repair manual show a little screw
for idle mix adj. The carb rebuild kit part number 693503 includes
this small screw as well!!!!

Thank you,
Fred