Stupid strut cars

Old December 26th 04, 05:15 PM
Anthony

wrote in news:1104078076.860135.115980
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Is this a repair business or a building in someone's back yard?.. With
> labor rates in this area, $130 is less than two hours labor. The Lexus
> dealer is at $100/hr, Range Rover is higher, and even the local Ford -
> Case - New Holland (farm tractors and equipment) dealer is $78/hr.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jim

It's a legitimate shop, been in business in that location for over 20
years. He stays covered up because he does excellent work for a
reasonable price. Unlike most repair businesses, he isn't out to gouge
anyone, or get rich.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Old December 27th 04, 12:59 AM
Anthony

wrote in news:1104089742.407147.132720
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> The price you quoted sounded low enough that, to me, it sounded like
> someone who wasn't worried about paying overhead.. many times that's
> someone who's wrenching 'on the side' (after normal shop hours) or
> someone working in their driveway (or a building in their backyard).
> Overhead meaning building rent or mortgage payment, tool costs,
> equipment payments, etc..
>
> In this case, 20 years in the same location probably means that much
> of his equipment is already paid off, perhaps owns the building and
> land, and doesn't have much overhead to worry about before being able
> to take money out of the business.
>
> Good for him.
>
> What is his labor rate compared to other local repair shops?
> Regards,
>
> Jim

He owns the building and the land, clear and free. He usually pays cash
for any new equipment he buys.
I don't know if he actually *has* an hourly rate. You tell him what you
need done...or he diagnoses it, and he gives you a price.
There are a few local shops like this, some newer, some about the same
age. Some charge high-dollar rates (the newer ones, usually). I don't
know what those rates are, as I either do it myself, or have Greg do it.
I do know his prices beat the hell out of any of the 'chain' repair
places, and I get good, solid, known quality work.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Old December 27th 04, 11:51 PM

Anthony wrote:
> wrote in news:1104089742.407147.132720
> @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>

> > The price you quoted sounded low enough that, to me, it sounded

like
> > someone who wasn't worried about paying overhead.. many times

that's
> > someone who's wrenching 'on the side' (after normal shop hours) or
> > someone working in their driveway (or a building in their

backyard).
> > Overhead meaning building rent or mortgage payment, tool costs,
> > equipment payments, etc..
> >
> > In this case, 20 years in the same location probably means that

much
> > of his equipment is already paid off, perhaps owns the building and
> > land, and doesn't have much overhead to worry about before being

able
> > to take money out of the business.
> >
> > Good for him.
> >
> > What is his labor rate compared to other local repair shops?
> > Regards,
> >
> > Jim
> >

> He owns the building and the land, clear and free. He usually pays

cash
> for any new equipment he buys.
> I don't know if he actually *has* an hourly rate. You tell him what

you
> need done...or he diagnoses it, and he gives you a price.
> There are a few local shops like this, some newer, some about the

same
> age. Some charge high-dollar rates (the newer ones, usually). I

don't
> know what those rates are, as I either do it myself, or have Greg do

it.
> I do know his prices beat the hell out of any of the 'chain' repair
> places, and I get good, solid, known quality work.

Sounds like he's got a nice setup going.. giving the customer the bill
has never been a fun part of the business for me.. but there is rent to
pay, tools and equipment, salaries, utilities, and I'd like to take
some money home myself. If you have enough people working for you, and
enough work, you _can_ make a pretty penny doing this sort of thing.
I couldn't do the work you quoted for that price..

Regards,

Jim