C6 Headlights

Old October 5th 06, 02:59 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay

Default C6 Headlights

I just received the new CORVETTE Quarterly and it has a good article on
the C6 high intensity headlights. I wonder if the C6 headlights dim at
a red light if you push the brake or use the window control? The
electrical system in my 01 C5 is semi-wimpy and it does not take much to
dim the lights.
Old October 5th 06, 03:53 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"aRKay" > wrote in message
>I just received the new CORVETTE Quarterly and it has a good article on
> the C6 high intensity headlights. I wonder if the C6 headlights dim at
> a red light if you push the brake or use the window control? The
> electrical system in my 01 C5 is semi-wimpy and it does not take much to
> dim the lights.

Never noticed them dimming at any time, but then I never noticed the C5 dimming
either. The '04 and the '98 were driven from dusk till dawn many times going
south to my son's house and I never noticed the dimming you speak of. The one
thing that I will say is that the '05 lights were what I disliked the most on
the C6 until I drove them. Can't tell you how much I like them now, best way is
to drive one and see, yes, SEE for the first time everything out there. The dim
has a definite horizontal line just above the hood that divides the light to
dark and is much easier on your eyes.

It is entirely possible that you have a bad wiring setup that allows them to
dim. One of the van conversion I drove for thirteen years on family vacations
was bad at dimming. It took about $15 and a couple hours of work in '74 to make
them bright and constant. Later when they came out I added the new halogen
without a wire upgrade. Remember that in the early '70s GM had hit the high note
on building crappy automobiles. If you want to correct the problem, add the
relays and wire them to avoid the current drop. Good place to start -
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html
I see his kits are up to the $50 range now but once you do it you'll see how
simple and easy it can be done. His kits cut out the hassle factor completely.
The C5 kit RIK-C5 kit to properly install H4 (export) headlamps on 1997-2004 C5
Corvette: $79

I just drove US36 from Atwood KS, to Decator Il. at night with lots of rain and
if you ever needed good lights that is the place. Some of the smoothest sections
of roads in Missouri I've ever driven on, but the next county had the worst, fun
trip, and an interesting stretch of road.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old October 5th 06, 04:35 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
dave

I have a C6 and they dont dim ; i was just thinking last night as i was
driving how they light up the road significant better than any other car
ive owned.

Dave

Old October 5th 06, 05:47 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay

In article >,
"Dad" > wrote:

> "aRKay" > wrote in message
> >I just received the new CORVETTE Quarterly and it has a good article on
> > the C6 high intensity headlights. I wonder if the C6 headlights dim at
> > a red light if you push the brake or use the window control? The
> > electrical system in my 01 C5 is semi-wimpy and it does not take much to
> > dim the lights.

> Never noticed them dimming at any time, but then I never noticed the C5
> dimming
> either. The '04 and the '98 were driven from dusk till dawn many times going
> south to my son's house and I never noticed the dimming you speak of. The one
> thing that I will say is that the '05 lights were what I disliked the most on
> the C6 until I drove them. Can't tell you how much I like them now, best way
> is
> to drive one and see, yes, SEE for the first time everything out there. The
> dim
> has a definite horizontal line just above the hood that divides the light to
> dark and is much easier on your eyes.
>
> It is entirely possible that you have a bad wiring setup that allows them to
> dim. One of the van conversion I drove for thirteen years on family vacations
> was bad at dimming. It took about $15 and a couple hours of work in '74 to
> make
> them bright and constant. Later when they came out I added the new halogen
> without a wire upgrade. Remember that in the early '70s GM had hit the high
> note
> on building crappy automobiles. If you want to correct the problem, add the
> relays and wire them to avoid the current drop. Good place to start -
> http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html
> I see his kits are up to the $50 range now but once you do it you'll see how
> simple and easy it can be done. His kits cut out the hassle factor
> completely.
> The C5 kit RIK-C5 kit to properly install H4 (export) headlamps on 1997-2004
> C5
> Corvette: $79
>
> I just drove US36 from Atwood KS, to Decator Il. at night with lots of rain
> and
> if you ever needed good lights that is the place. Some of the smoothest
> sections
> of roads in Missouri I've ever driven on, but the next county had the worst,
> fun
> trip, and an interesting stretch of road.

Thanks for the feedback. I talked to my dealer about the dimming when
the vehicle was still in warranty and they said it was normal for a C5.
It got much better when I trashed the Delco AGM battery. No dimming
when you are driving and the alternator is doing it thing. I noticed it
more when the engine was off or at low idle. The two big current hogs
seemed to be the window motors and the brake lights. I have learned to
live with it. The cure is a $65K C6 and I am not ready for that action
at this time

Headlights won't come on in 2003 Odyssey Odysseus Honda 0 April 4th 06 05:27 AM
Headlights won't come on in 2003 Odyssey [email protected] Honda 0 April 4th 06 05:21 AM
Blinking Headlights porky Technology 8 February 24th 06 07:03 PM
1999 Explorer Automatic Headlights Mickle79 Ford Explorer 0 January 13th 06 11:59 AM
96 Blazer and 01 headlights Sam Sedlak 4x4 1 October 26th 04 10:32 PM