Log book Error

Old August 16th 05, 11:43 AM
XPUser

Default Log book Error

Hi,

I am from the UK and have an issue with the log book. I have a 320 Sport
(E46). However on the log book it is registered as a 320 SE. I wish to get
the log book changed to reflect this.

I have tried to contact the BMW customer services and my local dealer
(leicester) and on their systems it is a 320 SE. However when they printed
a list of options added to the car, the "sports features" were on the list.
BMW will not provide me with a letter to say the car is a sports model. The
only thing they have provided me with is a letter which states the car as an
SE model, however they do list all the options added to the car (which
include the sports options).

I am sure DVLA will not be happy with that, as BMW think the car is a SE
model. The chap I spoke to at BMW customer services did say it looked
strange the car was registered as an SE. Alas there was nothing he could
do.

Is there anything I can do to get BMW to send me a letter stating the car is
in fact a sports model, or am I stuffed? The reason I want the letter is so
I can write to DVLA to get the log book changed.

The only reason I ask, is because of insurance purposes. They class my car
as a SE version (as per log book), which has been MODIFIED to a sports
version. The insurance premium is then roughly twice as much as the premium
of a sports model. This includes BMW insurance!! (Although I had the car
insured with them for a year, this year when it came to renewal, they said
they made a mistake and the car would be classed as a modified SE model)

Has anybody here ever had their log book changed? If so what did you have to
do? I dont think writing them a letter stating its a sports verison will
work. Thus why I require a letter from BMW stating it is.

Or does anybody know of an insurance company that will be more sympathetic
to my current problem?

Thanks for your time.

Old August 16th 05, 05:25 PM
Spack

XPUser wrote on Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:43:13 +0100:

> Hi,

> I am from the UK and have an issue with the log book. I have a 320
> Sport (E46). However on the log book it is registered as a 320 SE. I
> wish
> to get the log book changed to reflect this.
>
> I have tried to contact the BMW customer services and my local dealer
> (leicester) and on their systems it is a 320 SE. However when they
> printed a list of options added to the car, the "sports features" were on
> the
> list. BMW will not provide me with a letter to say the car is a sports
> model.
> The only thing they have provided me with is a letter which states the car
> as an SE model, however they do list all the options added to the car
> (which
> include the sports options).

AFAIK, the SE is a UK only term for a car with options added. I have a '93
E36 320i SE, the badge on the car is just 320i but the V5 shows SE, as does
BMW themselves. IIRC it's stands for something like "Special Edition",
indicating a model that was provided with options. If you had a Sport with
additional options, it will be an SE. If you had most of the Sports package
(eg. one item missing), it's an SE.

> I am sure DVLA will not be happy with that, as BMW think the car is a
> SE model. The chap I spoke to at BMW customer services did say it looked
> strange the car was registered as an SE. Alas there was nothing he
> could do.
>
> Is there anything I can do to get BMW to send me a letter stating the
> car is in fact a sports model, or am I stuffed? The reason I want the
> letter is so I can write to DVLA to get the log book changed.

I doubt it - it does sound like you have an SE model for the reason I've
given above (however, I'm still very much a newcomer to BMWs so one of the
regulars can probably give you a clearer defintion of SE).

> The only reason I ask, is because of insurance purposes. They class my
> car as a SE version (as per log book), which has been MODIFIED to a
> sports
> version. The insurance premium is then roughly twice as much as the
> premium of a sports model. This includes BMW insurance!! (Although I
> had the car insured with them for a year, this year when it came to
> renewal, they said they made a mistake and the car would be classed as a
> modified SE model)

When I looked at insurance for my E36 it was raised from a group 13 to group
14 because of the SE - this is due to it having alloy wheels, the larger
OBC, and other upgrades that weren't on the base model. However, it was
nothing like twice the premium - are you sure you were quoted twice? For
instance, I just tried Tesco.com for insurance on a 2000 E46 320i petrol
manual (as you never gave details of your car model I picked something I
thought would be close), and there was no difference between the premiums
for the standard or SE (there was no option to indicate the car had been
modified, and no Sport option). Checking Parkers (
http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/insurance/ ) the Sport model is the same
group as the SE for petrol, and is higher than the SE on diesels by 1 group.

Petrol 2 door coupe:
SE = Group 15
Sport = Group 15

Petrol 4 door sedan:
SE = Group 15
Sport = Group 15

Diesel 2 door coupe:
SE = Group 14
Sport = Group 15
SE Sport = Group 15

Diesel 4 door sedan:
SE = Group 13
Sport = Group 14

I'm surprised looking at this list that you've had problems with the
insurance companies, unless you've picked the "yes, my car is modified"
option when getting a quote - in which case, don't choose that! Just get it
insured as an SE model, because that is what it is.

Dan

Old August 17th 05, 09:52 AM
XPUser

After careful thought and consideration Spack typed:
> [...]

> same group as the SE for petrol, and is higher than the SE on diesels
> by 1 group.
>
> Petrol 2 door coupe:
> SE = Group 15
> Sport = Group 15
>
> Petrol 4 door sedan:
> SE = Group 15
> Sport = Group 15
>
> Diesel 2 door coupe:
> SE = Group 14
> Sport = Group 15
> SE Sport = Group 15
>
> Diesel 4 door sedan:
> SE = Group 13
> Sport = Group 14
>
> I'm surprised looking at this list that you've had problems with the
> insurance companies, unless you've picked the "yes, my car is
> modified" option when getting a quote - in which case, don't choose
> that! Just get it insured as an SE model, because that is what it is.

Thanks for your reply Dan.

I did select the "yes my car is modified" option (hence the premium
doubled), as things like the larger alloys (18 inch), sports suspension,
body kit, sports seat are not standard on the SE model (or are they?). I
have had the full set of options avilable for a sports model (inc the
steering wheel and the ///M symbol on the gearstick).

Your suggestion of getting it insured as an SE model, does make sense. The
letter that I recieved from BMW stating it is an SE model, with the sports
options added, means according to BMW it is an SE model. As you know the
insurance companies in the UK will do anything to get out of paying, I dont
want them to turn around to me (if I ever had an accident), and say wait a
minute your car is an SE but it has been modified, hence your insurance is
invalid.

Can anyone else confirm what Dan has said, about getting it insured as a SE
model, and saying it is not modifed.

All help is appreciated.

Old August 17th 05, 11:02 AM
zerouali

It sounds like your car is an SE with several options added to it. The good
news is, if it left the factory with those options fitted then your car is
not modified. As far as I'm aware any factory fitted options are not counted
as modifications, it's only if you bolt on huge bodykits, turbos,
aftermarket wheels etc. that you have to declare modifications.

Old August 17th 05, 06:06 PM
J Strickland

"XPUser" > wrote in message
> [...]

> body kit, sports seat are not standard on the SE model (or are they?). I
> have had the full set of options avilable for a sports model (inc the
> steering wheel and the ///M symbol on the gearstick).
>
> Your suggestion of getting it insured as an SE model, does make sense.
> The
> letter that I recieved from BMW stating it is an SE model, with the sports
> options added, means according to BMW it is an SE model. As you know the
> insurance companies in the UK will do anything to get out of paying, I
> dont
> want them to turn around to me (if I ever had an accident), and say wait a
> minute your car is an SE but it has been modified, hence your insurance is
> invalid.
>
> Can anyone else confirm what Dan has said, about getting it insured as a

I guess I don't get the problem. Take the Equipment List (window sticker or
VIN printout from the dealership) to your insurance agent and have him price
your policy.

On my side of the Pond, I don't think we have the SE designation, but it
sounds like you have the Special Edition with the Sports Package. All of the
stuff on yoru car came from the factory or was added by the dealership. It
will be listed on the equipment list and this means it is stock not
modified.

Old August 17th 05, 06:07 PM
J Strickland

"zerouali" > wrote in message
> It sounds like your car is an SE with several options added to it. The
> good news is, if it left the factory with those options fitted then your
> car is not modified. As far as I'm aware any factory fitted options are
> not counted as modifications, it's only if you bolt on huge bodykits,
> turbos, aftermarket wheels etc. that you have to declare modifications.

This is my understanding as well. Being from the Colonies, my mileage may
vary ...

LIDAR Trial this Week [email protected] Driving 17 April 9th 06 02:44 AM
Order Of Error Codes Michale Chrysler 20 December 3rd 04 08:20 PM
Please help w/ error codes 21 and 32 Backyard Mechanic Ford Mustang 14 November 13th 04 11:32 PM
The Batsford Colour Book of Vintage Cars - A. Harding D Hatje Antique cars 0 June 17th 04 10:27 PM