$1.99 Gas Hits NJ! today!

Old October 27th 08, 04:08 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Steve Sobol

Default $1.99 Gas Hits NJ! today!

["Followup-To:" header set to misc.transport.road.]
On 2008-10-27, Paul D. DeRocco > wrote:
>> "Steve Sobol" > wrote
>>
>> I-40 at Goffs Road IS in the middle of nowhere. There's a 90-mile stretch
>> of I-40 between Barstow and Arizona where there are no services at all.

> You're forgetting Ludlow, 58 miles from Goffs Rd. Still a tad expensive, but
> not outrageous. And Newberry Springs has a couple stations, closer to
> Barstow.

That's right. I believe the 90-mile stretch in question is just west of
Needles, and there's a "No Services" sign on the westbound I-40 that indicates
that.

--
Steve Sobol, Victorville, California, USA
It's all fun and games until someone starts a bonfire in the living room.

Old October 27th 08, 04:34 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

"Paul D. DeRocco" wrote:

> > "richard" > wrote
> >
> > Here in Vegas, price finally fell down below $3.
> > They're about a week or two behind and yet still higher than most.

> SoCal has finally dipped below $3--I filled up at $2.959 in Barstow at the
> Tits&Ass, uh, the TA truck stop.
>
> But a couple hours earlier, I passed by what's always the most expensive gas
> station in the desert, in Fenner, at the intersection of I-40 and Goffs
> Road:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/pderocco/image/105042035/original
>
> Last time I actually stopped there, they had a sign in their window telling
> people not to bother complaining about the price.

Unless they are the only station for miles, who would even stop at such
a place?

Back in the 'old days', they could hook the out of town travelers along
the highway who didn't know any better. But with gas price web sites and
web browsers in phones these days, how can such tactics work anymore?

--
Paul Hovnanian
politics; n, from the Greek 'poly' meaning many and 'ticks', small
Old October 27th 08, 06:52 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Andrew Tompkins

brink wrote:

> "GK" > wrote in message
>> Being a frequenter of the gasbuddy.com website, I saw that gas was $2.06
>> for regular at a Delta station at 217 Park Ave in Rutherford so on my
>> way up north, I found the station, filled up, THEN about 1 1/2 blocks
>> away was another Delta station with regular at $1.99 cash or credit!!
>> Its at 177 Park Ave corner E Park Pl in Rutherford, NJ

> Gas prices are just weird right now. I'm visiting Phoenix and just
> today saw an AM/PM ARCO gas station selling reg unleaded for $2.88...
> and the Mid-Grade stuff for $3.29. A 41 cent difference between 87
> octane and 89 octane? What gives?

I noticed that here myself. Standard price spreads between grades is
about 10-12 cents here. The AM/PM ARCO that I usually use went to 35
cents at one point before coming down.

> Not only that, but it was just a few short months ago that Arizona was
> the 2nd-cheapest state in which to buy fuel... now a friend tells me he
> drove from Bemidji, MN to Phoenix over a 3-day period last week and the
> most expensive gas was in AZ.

We didn't get hit by the Ike spike. Our prices, out west, continued to
drop through that time.

--
--Andy
Old October 27th 08, 11:32 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

In article >,
richard > wrote:

>Here in Vegas, price finally fell down below $3.
>They're about a week or two behind and yet still higher than most.

As soon as GM shut down Hummer, I knew gas prices would drop. GM has
a keen sense of timing.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old October 28th 08, 12:14 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Rick Powell

On Oct 26, 1:29*am, "Paul D. DeRocco" > wrote:
> > "richard" > wrote

> > Here in Vegas, price finally fell down below $3.
> > They're about a week or two behind and yet still higher than most.

> SoCal has finally dipped below $3--I filled up at $2.959 in Barstow at the
> Tits&Ass, uh, the TA truck stop.
>
> But a couple hours earlier, I passed by what's always the most expensive gas
> station in the desert, in Fenner, at the intersection of I-40 and Goffs
> Road:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/pderocco/image/105042035/original
>
> Last time I actually stopped there, they had a sign in their window telling
> people not to bother complaining about the price.
>
> --
>
> Ciao, * * * * * * * Paul D. DeRocco
> Paul * * * * * * * *mailto

There was a similar sign at that same station about 5 years ago when I
stopped there. IIRC, gas was at $2.89. The sign said something like
"please do not complain to our employees about our prices; they do not
set the price; it costs us a fortune to do business here in the
desert."

RP
Old October 28th 08, 12:12 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Brent Jonas

On Oct 25, 10:42*pm, GK > wrote:
> Being a frequenter of the gasbuddy.com website, I saw that gas was $2.06
> for regular at a Delta station at 217 Park Ave in Rutherford so on my
> way up north, I found the station, filled up, THEN about 1 1/2 blocks
> away was another Delta station with regular at $1.99 cash or credit!!
> Its at 177 Park Ave corner E Park Pl in Rutherford, NJ
>
> I snapped 4 pics and there on Photobucket now.
>
> GK
>
> http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/k.../?action=view¤...
>
> http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/k.../?action=view¤...
>
> http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/k.../?action=view¤...
>
> http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/k.../?action=view¤...

Hmmm. Meanwhile, I'm still paying $3.39 for regular.

Still better than the $4.61 I was paying, a few months back! So no
complaints, I guess.

-Brent
Old October 28th 08, 03:36 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Larrybud

>>http://www.pbase.com/pderocco/image/105042035/original
>>
>>Last time I actually stopped there, they had a sign in their
>>window telling people not to bother complaining about the price.

> You know what I'd do? Ban together a few people and begin doing
> some nightly damage to his place. It gets mighty damn expensive
> replacing plate glass windows every week.
> A simple little cutting of the hoses. Pull down a pump or two.

I'd be the first one to convict your ass.

If some moron wants to charge a ridiculous price for his product,
that's his business. Literally. If you want to put your POS car for
sale on eBay for $500,000, that's your business. Nobody deserves to
have their property destroyed because of their crappy business
practices.
Old October 28th 08, 03:37 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Larrybud

Steve Sobol > wrote in
:

> On 2008-10-27, Brent P >
> wrote:
>
>> A free market has a wonderful way of dealing with businesses
>> who have set prices too high... people buy from someone else.
>> They either correct their prices or go out of business. Gas
>> station to gas station competition is still for the most part a
>> free market. Since this gas station stays in business, the
>> prices are obviously not too high.

> That doesn't work in the area in question... a large, empty area
> with few stations.

On the contrary, it's working perfectly.

Who's to say what he's charging is "too high"? "Too high" compared
to what?
Old October 28th 08, 10:27 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
MLOM

On Oct 26, 8:23*pm, necromancer <55_sux@worldofnecromancer_NO-SPAM_NO-
WAY.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 05:42:05 GMT, GK >
> wrote:
>
> >Being a frequenter of the gasbuddy.com website, I saw that gas was $2.06
> >for regular at a Delta station at 217 Park Ave in Rutherford so on my
> >way up north, I found the station, filled up, THEN about 1 1/2 blocks
> >away was another Delta station with regular at $1.99 cash or credit!!
> >Its at 177 Park Ave corner E Park Pl in Rutherford, NJ

> Accodring to georgiagasprices.com, US$1.97 was seen in Eatonton, GA
> within the last 48 hrs. Next time I'm down by IH95/US17 at exit 29 in
> Brunswick, I'll note the prices there.
>
> --
> I am necromancer and I approved this poast.

Today in parts of KC it's $1.959.
Old October 29th 08, 02:56 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
GK

GK wrote:
> Being a frequenter of the gasbuddy.com website, I saw that gas was $2.06
> for regular at a Delta station at 217 Park Ave in Rutherford so on my
> way up north, I found the station, filled up, THEN about 1 1/2 blocks
> away was another Delta station with regular at $1.99 cash or credit!!
> Its at 177 Park Ave corner E Park Pl in Rutherford, NJ
>
> I snapped 4 pics and there on Photobucket now.
>
> GK
>
> http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/k...t=HPIM0130.jpg
>

> http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/k...t=HPIM0127.jpg
>

> http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/k...t=HPIM0128.jpg
>

> http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/k...t=HPIM0129.jpg

Oh well, for an update I drove past that gas station today and the one
that was at $1.99 is at $2.25 while the one that was at $2.06 was at $2.29.

So this appears to have been a short lived local "gas war", however the
overall prices are still creeping downwards. Paid $2.21 today, which was
found at a few bottom priced stations around NJ.

GK