__ Driver Dies in Fiery Wrong-Way Truck Crash Caught on Video <=should Diabetics be allowed to Drive? __

Old April 3rd 08, 07:00 PM posted to sci.med.cardiology,alt.support.diabetes,can.legal,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Default __ Driver Dies in Fiery Wrong-Way Truck Crash Caught on Video <=should Diabetics be allowed to Drive? __

Hypoglycemia is a very real danger both for diabetics on glucose-
lowering medications and those around them if they are operating heavy
machinery.

The brain absolutely requires glucose to function normally.

Smarter to eat less, down to the right amount to possibly cure the
type-2 diabetes:

http://HeartMDPhD.com/BeSmart

A simple parable in hopes of promoting understanding:

http://HeartMDPhD.com/Parable

Be hungry... be healthy... be hungrier... be euglycemic:

http://TheWellnessFoundation.com/BeHealthier

Prayerfully in the infinite power and might of the Holy Spirit,

Andrew <><
--
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Lawful steward of http://EmoryCardiology.com

Old April 3rd 08, 10:23 PM posted to sci.med.cardiology,alt.support.diabetes,can.legal,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

_ Prof. Jonez _ wrote:

> > Hypoglycemia is a very real danger both for diabetics on glucose-
> > lowering medications and those around them if they are operating heavy
> > machinery.

> So should Diabetics be allowed to Drive ?

Yes. However, it would be reasonable to consider revoking a driver's
license if a diabetic is having frequent hypoglycemic episodes because
his/her diabetes is not optimally managed to prevent such
incapacitating events.

The surest way of preventing hypoglycemia would be by curing the
type-2 diabetes by losing the black fat (VAT). The smartest way of
losing the VAT is by eating less, down to the right amount:

http://HeartMDPhD.com/BeSmart

Again, a simple parable in hopes of promoting understanding:

Old April 4th 08, 10:26 AM posted to sci.med.cardiology,alt.support.diabetes,can.legal,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD[_2_]

Scott in SoCal wrote:
> >_ Prof. Jonez _ wrote:

> >> So should Diabetics be allowed to Drive ?

> >Yes. However, it would be reasonable to consider revoking a driver's
> >license if a diabetic is having frequent hypoglycemic episodes because
> >his/her diabetes is not optimally managed to prevent such
> >incapacitating events.

> So let's say the guy had developed cataracts instead of diabetes;
> would you also want to wait until he had "frequent episodes" before
> you took his license away?

The visual impairment from cataracts would be more than frequent in
that it would be constant. Such a person would not pass the required
visual acuity screening to renew their license in the first place.

Truth is simple.

Be hungry... be healthy... be hungrier... be healthier:

Old April 4th 08, 01:43 PM posted to sci.med.cardiology,alt.support.diabetes,can.legal,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
Larry Bud

> So let's say the guy had developed cataracts instead of diabetes;
> would you also want to wait until he had "frequent episodes" before
> you took his license away?
>
> What if the diabetic kills someone with his very first "episode?" Why
> do we have to wait for something bad to happen before we yank
> someone's license?

You sould like Aunt Judy. That argument could be made about anything,
including your Vette.

Where do you draw the line? Seemlingly perfectly healthy 30 year olds
have been known to have strokes or die from an unknown heart problem.
Everyone is at risk, it's just a matter of the risk amount. I have
known people for 15 years that I had no clue had diabetes.
Old April 4th 08, 07:16 PM posted to alt.support.diabetes,can.legal,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
Robert Miles

"Scott in SoCal" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 02:26:31 -0700 (PDT), "Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD"
> > wrote:
>
>>Scott in SoCal wrote:

>>> So let's say the guy had developed cataracts instead of diabetes;
>>> would you also want to wait until he had "frequent episodes" before
>>> you took his license away?

>>The visual impairment from cataracts would be more than frequent in
>>that it would be constant. Such a person would not pass the required
>>visual acuity screening to renew their license in the first place.

> But if they already have the license, they won't have to take a vision
> test for years. So this hypothetical driver would have plenty of
> opportunity to drive legally - at least until his "episodes" became
> "frequent."
>
>>Truth is simple.

> That's right. The simple truth is diabetics who can fall into
> hypoglycemic comas at unpredictable times should NOT be allowed to
> drive.

You seem to be ignoring the fact that many diabetics, especially if they're
the more common type 2, aren't likely to have any hypoglycemic comas.

Old April 4th 08, 08:46 PM posted to sci.med.cardiology,alt.support.diabetes,can.legal,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD[_3_]

Scott in SoCal wrote:
> >Scott in SoCal wrote:

> >> So let's say the guy had developed cataracts instead of diabetes;
> >> would you also want to wait until he had "frequent episodes" before
> >> you took his license away?

> >The visual impairment from cataracts would be more than frequent in
> >that it would be constant. Such a person would not pass the required
> >visual acuity screening to renew their license in the first place.

> But if they already have the license, they won't have to take a vision
> test for years. So this hypothetical driver would have plenty of
> opportunity to drive legally...

Not in good conscience however.

> - at least until his "episodes" became
> "frequent."

Again, visual impairment from cataracts would be more than frequent
because this would be constant.

> >Truth is simple.

> That's right. The simple truth is diabetics who can fall into
> hypoglycemic comas at unpredictable times should NOT be allowed to
> drive.

That would be your opinion rather than truth as evident by your use of
the word "should."

Again, truth is simple.

It is possible for you to fall into a hypoglycemic coma at any moment
if GOD so wills it.

Therefore, by your own measure, your driver's license (if you have
one) should be revoked.

Old April 4th 08, 11:49 PM posted to sci.med.cardiology,alt.support.diabetes,can.legal,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
_ Prof. Jonez _

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:
> _ Prof. Jonez _ wrote:
>>
>>> Hypoglycemia is a very real danger both for diabetics on glucose-
>>> lowering medications and those around them if they are operating
>>> heavy machinery.

>> So should Diabetics be allowed to Drive ?

> Yes. However, it would be reasonable to consider revoking a driver's
> license if a diabetic is having frequent hypoglycemic episodes because
> his/her diabetes is not optimally managed to prevent such
> incapacitating events.

And how many of these "episodes" does it take to cause a fatal accident?

Old April 5th 08, 02:20 AM posted to sci.med.cardiology,alt.support.diabetes,can.legal,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

_ Prof. Jonez _ wrote:
> > _ Prof. Jonez _ wrote:

> >> So should Diabetics be allowed to Drive ?

> > Yes. However, it would be reasonable to consider revoking a driver's
> > license if a diabetic is having frequent hypoglycemic episodes because
> > his/her diabetes is not optimally managed to prevent such
> > incapacitating events.

> And how many of these "episodes" does it take to cause a fatal accident?

That would be knowable only by GOD.

"See you are well again. Now stop sinning or something worse may
happen to you." -- LORD Jesus Christ

Amen.

Thus, it remains smarter to eat less, down to the right amount:

http://HeartMDPhD.com/BeSmart

A simple parable given in hopes of promoting understanding:

Old April 5th 08, 03:27 AM posted to sci.med.cardiology,alt.support.diabetes,can.legal,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
Reality_Check©

"Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" > wrote in message
>_ Prof. Jonez _ wrote:

>> > Yes. However, it would be reasonable to consider revoking a driver's
>> > license if a diabetic is having frequent hypoglycemic episodes because
>> > his/her diabetes is not optimally managed to prevent such
>> > incapacitating events.

>> And how many of these "episodes" does it take to cause a fatal accident?

> That would be knowable only by GOD.

Which god ?

Old April 5th 08, 03:40 AM posted to sci.med.cardiology,alt.support.diabetes,can.legal,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
Tiger_Lily

Scott in SoCal wrote:

> Yes, it is. People who are a danger to others on the roads due to
> their medical conditions should not be permitted to drive. That's the
> truth (not to mention the law). This guy's doctor should have filled
> out the Canadian equivalent of this form
>
> http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/ds/ds326.pdf
>
> and reported him to the DMV and gotten his license yanked. Notice that
> Diabetes is specifically listed on this form, indicating that, despite
> your OPINION, it is a cause for concern to the folks who actually give
> out driver's licenses.

a Semi driver in Alberta MUST have a complete physical exam every year
and get clearance from their Dr before they can renew their
license............ even if their Dr allows them, DMV can refuse the license

i drive a car........ i must have a Medical every year........ the DMV
is reported to every time i have an unconscious hypo or a severe hypo NO
MATTER if i'm driving or NOT....... the DMV has the final say on if i
will get my license (my last unconscious hypo was due to an insulin
change back in 1993)

are you telling me that *I* should not be driving?

i think you are 'over the top' in your opinion about 'potentially could
have a hypo'

ANYONE can have a heart attack at the wheel, and have been in 'good
health' up until that point......... i know........ my uncle died of a
heart attack at the wheel while doing 60MPH and 3 people in the car he
hit died

i guess under that logic YOU shouldn't be driving either?