Problem Getting Deposit From Smythe Mercedes - Finally Got It

Old December 1st 04, 06:59 AM
gerard.gold

Default Problem Getting Deposit From Smythe Mercedes - Finally Got It

I walked in and got this check around three weeks ago, and a couple of weeks
ago I was sure it had gone through (the name had a minor misspelling, and a
two year old address was used). I guess a lot of folks who responded were
right. I should have pushed harder sooner, not just before I planned to
leave town. On the other hand, the deposit was for an ML (not a specific
one), and at the time I told them I was not then interested, I was told they
would have no problem selling their inventory. They (the ML's, not Smythe
:-)) were pretty hot even then.

Regards,
Gerard

alt.auto.mercedes,alt.autos.mercedes,ba.consumers, rec.autos.makers.chrysler
> Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 3:52 PM
> Subject: Problem Getting Deposit From Smythe Mercedes
>

> > Tell them they have 5 business days to get a check to you or you will
> > file a complaint with the DMV. Most DMV offices have an enforcement
> > division. It is usually hidden in the back or upstairs but anyone can
> > direct you there.
> > A number of years ago I made deposit with a Honda dealer with a set
> > date for delivery (the day after the next ship was arriving). Another
> > Honda dealer that I had visited called me to ask if I had made a
> > purchase yet. When I told him the details he said that the next ship was
> > not due until two days after I was supposed to get my car. When i
> > determined this was true and found a better and more immediate deal from
> > this dealer I called the first place to cancel the deal.
> > Promises and excuses followed. the sales rep who sold me my car made
> > the DMV suggestion. Two days after I filed the complaint a refund

arrived.

Old December 1st 04, 07:16 PM
RPhillips47

"gerard.gold" wrote:

>I walked in and got this check around three weeks ago, and a couple of weeks
>ago I was sure it had gone through (the name had a minor misspelling, and a
>two year old address was used). I guess a lot of folks who responded were
>right. I should have pushed harder sooner, not just before I planned to
>leave town. On the other hand, the deposit was for an ML (not a specific
>one), and at the time I told them I was not then interested, I was told they
>would have no problem selling their inventory. They (the ML's, not Smythe
>:-)) were pretty hot even then.

I have followed your story from your first posting and have come to the
conclusion that money is, apparently, of little value and of no real concern to
you. I am also surprised with some of the responses you received indicating the
dealer was at fault and not you. Quite honestly, had you filed a complaint with
the DMV and I was the DMV official reviewing the compalint I would have
contacted the dealer and told them to give you back the money but they could
take two years to do it. Likewise would have been my decision as a judge had
you taken the matter to small claims court.
Old December 1st 04, 07:16 PM
RPhillips47

Old December 2nd 04, 08:02 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"RPhillips47" > wrote in message
> "gerard.gold" wrote:
>
> >I walked in and got this check around three weeks ago, and a couple of

weeks
> >ago I was sure it had gone through (the name had a minor misspelling, and

> >two year old address was used). I guess a lot of folks who responded

were
> >right. I should have pushed harder sooner, not just before I planned to
> >leave town. On the other hand, the deposit was for an ML (not a specific
> >one), and at the time I told them I was not then interested, I was told

they
> >would have no problem selling their inventory. They (the ML's, not Smythe
> >:-)) were pretty hot even then.

> I have followed your story from your first posting and have come to the
> conclusion that money is, apparently, of little value and of no real

concern to
> you. I am also surprised with some of the responses you received

indicating the
> dealer was at fault and not you. Quite honestly, had you filed a complaint

with
> the DMV and I was the DMV official reviewing the compalint I would have
> contacted the dealer and told them to give you back the money but they

could
> take two years to do it. Likewise would have been my decision as a judge

had
> you taken the matter to small claims court.

Actually, in certain jurisdictions if you wait too long to claim the money
it reverts
to uncollected funds and there is a procedure that it gets transferred to
the state
treasury. ;-)

The story reminded me of the movie Caddyshack, remember when Chevy Chase's
girlfriend comes over and sees uncashed checks laying all over the place for
tens of thousands of dollars. ;-)

Ted

Old December 2nd 04, 08:02 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt