Using an iPad to follow a YouTube DIY without Internet to replace automotive speakers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 16th 18, 06:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ragnusen Ultred

Default Using an iPad to follow a YouTube DIY without Internet to replace automotive speakers

Am Mon, 16 Apr 2018 09:25:29 -0700 (PDT), schrieb trader_4:

> Yet in the other thread, you're worried about how far a clay pipe can
> go unsupported. Many would consider that simple. And finding a "clip"
> when it comes to removing a speaker isn't what it's all about. Most
> times you can't see a clip or anything from the start. We had a thread
> here a month ago where a guy was having difficulty removing a speaker
> even after a lot of trial and error. Many times, what you think is
> obvious, just ain't so. But like I said, feel free to screw around,
> wander in the wilderness and eschew easily available free video resources
> that make jobs easy.

It's clear that you, trader_4, understand that of the fifty or so bolts and
clips that had to come out, not a single one was visible, where it's not
always obvious how many there are or in which order to remove the dozen or
so pieces of trim and lights and grills and decks and molding and belts and
cushions, etc., that had to be removed in order to just *expose* the
speaker bolts in this kid's vehicle.

Obviously, once the speakers were exposed, the wiring was trivial, which,
even James Wilkinson Sword must note, I didn't say I had any problem with
the physical part of wiring the speakers.

BTW, to add value here, the *great* thing about the physical wiring was
that the positive and negative was so obvious in so many ways that you
couldn't possibly make a mistake.
a. The harness wires were color coded with a red stripe
b. The speaker wires were also color coded with a red stripe
c. The speakers themselves had different sized connectors
d. The harness connection itself only clipped in one way
e. The speakers had a plus and minus symbol

So, the wiring was really easy. I used wire nuts to connect to the harness
connector so that the speakers could be swapped out more easily in the
future.

Routing the wires was also easy as there were pre-fashioned clips and
curved troughs in the back deck, which routed the wires behind the seats to
the hidden harness connectors (none of which was covered in the video but
they were all easy to find since you just follow the wires).

The speaker cutout even had a "well indentation" to get the wires from
underneath (in the trunk) to topside (to connect to the hidden harness clip
behind the back of the seats).

So, as trader_4 astutely noted, the wiring wasn't ever the problem. The
advantage of the video was simply to know where the fifty odd hidden
connections were in the dozen odd upholstery and trim panels that had to be
removed.

Plus, it kept the kid busy whose car it was.