Testing Brake Fluid

Old June 23rd 11, 07:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_9_]

Default Testing Brake Fluid

On 6/22/2011 9:07 AM, ED wrote:
> I read that I can determine the moisture content of the brake fluid in my
> car
> by using a DMM (digital multimeter). Negative lead to the -battery term
> and the positive lead to the brake fluid in the reservoir. Anything
> below .3 volts is acceptable.
> Any comments on the validity of this method?

I like to peer into the reservoir and change it if it looks nasty. Your
way seems a lot easier though. :-)
Old April 15th 18, 07:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

If you use the chassis of the car, that is very problematic.

If you had two parallel electrodes of the identical metal type and a fix length exposed to the brake fluid, then readings would be meaningful, if not precise.

Let's say you made such a test probe and calibrated it with fresh brake fluid that is mixed with various percentages of distilled water. Now you could put this probe into a random brake fluid reservoir and get a repeatable result. The resistance reading would depend on the electrode separation as well as the uninsulated length.

It would probably provide an inaccurate reading due to soluble metals, salts and minerals contaminating the brake fluid. However that would only cause errors on the side of caution. If it gave a high enough resistance reading, that would indicate the reservoir was dry.

The next issue to worry about is: how fast does moisture migrate from wheel cylinders back to the master cylinder reservoir? I don't know. However, you could flush a small quantity from each bleeder valve and test that in some very small sample container (or directly in-line with the bleeder hose). Flush until the reading is good enough. This would be an excellent way to conserve on brake fluid, if that was a significant business expense.

Old April 15th 18, 07:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

If you use the battery, chassis of the car, or master brake cylinder as an electrode, that is very problematic. You have voltages created by electrolysis with the master brake cylinder metal alloy. You have variations in the current path taken between the electrode and the reservoir. Finally, variations in the surface area of the conductor probe immersed in the reservoir.

If you had two identical parallel electrodes of the same metal exposed to the brake fluid, then readings would be precise and repeatable,if not meaningful. The resistance reading would depend only on the electrode separation as well as the uninsulated length.

Let's say you made such a test probe and calibrated it with fresh brake fluid that is mixed with various percentages of distilled water (0,1,2,3,4,&5%).

Now you could put this calibrated probe into a random brake fluid reservoir and get a result everyone could agree on.

It would probably provide an inaccurate reading due to soluble metals, salts and minerals contaminating the brake fluid. However that would only cause errors on the side of caution. If it gave a high enough resistance reading, that would indicate the reservoir was adequately dry.

The next issue to worry about is: how fast does moisture migrate from wheel cylinders back to the master cylinder reservoir? I don't know. However, you could flush a small quantity from each bleeder valve and test that in some very small sample container directly in-line with the bleeder hose. Flush until the reading is good enough. This would be an excellent way to conserve on brake fluid, if that was a significant business expense.

For readers that wonder why:
Water content is very bad for brakes. A hot brake cylinder will exceed the boiling point, turning water into steam.

Brake fluid is designed to dissolve water and draw it away from the brake cylinders. The master brake cylinder is connected to the reservoir when the pedal is up, so this moisture is also diluted into that large volume as well.

Old April 15th 18, 09:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Retired

On 4/15/18 2:50 PM, wrote:
> If you use the battery, chassis of the car, or master brake cylinder as an electrode, that is very problematic. You have voltages created by electrolysis with the master brake cylinder metal alloy. You have variations in the current path taken between the electrode and the reservoir. Finally, variations in the surface area of the conductor probe immersed in the reservoir.
>
> If you had two identical parallel electrodes of the same metal exposed to the brake fluid, then readings would be precise and repeatable,if not meaningful. The resistance reading would depend only on the electrode separation as well as the uninsulated length.
>
> Let's say you made such a test probe and calibrated it with fresh brake fluid that is mixed with various percentages of distilled water (0,1,2,3,4,&5%).
>
> Now you could put this calibrated probe into a random brake fluid reservoir and get a result everyone could agree on.
>
> It would probably provide an inaccurate reading due to soluble metals, salts and minerals contaminating the brake fluid. However that would only cause errors on the side of caution. If it gave a high enough resistance reading, that would indicate the reservoir was adequately dry.
>
> The next issue to worry about is: how fast does moisture migrate from wheel cylinders back to the master cylinder reservoir? I don't know. However, you could flush a small quantity from each bleeder valve and test that in some very small sample container directly in-line with the bleeder hose. Flush until the reading is good enough. This would be an excellent way to conserve on brake fluid, if that was a significant business expense.
>
> For readers that wonder why:
> Water content is very bad for brakes. A hot brake cylinder will exceed the boiling point, turning water into steam.
>
> Brake fluid is designed to dissolve water and draw it away from the brake cylinders. The master brake cylinder is connected to the reservoir when the pedal is up, so this moisture is also diluted into that large volume as well.

Are you looking for something like this ?

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Automotiv...dp/B079V5N29M/
Old April 15th 18, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 16:58:18 -0400, Retired > wrote:

>On 4/15/18 2:50 PM, wrote:
>> If you use the battery, chassis of the car, or master brake cylinder as an electrode, that is very problematic. You have voltages created by electrolysis with the master brake cylinder metal alloy. You have variations in the current path taken between the electrode and the reservoir. Finally, variations in the surface area of the conductor probe immersed in the reservoir.
>>
>> If you had two identical parallel electrodes of the same metal exposed to the brake fluid, then readings would be precise and repeatable,if not meaningful. The resistance reading would depend only on the electrode separation as well as the uninsulated length.
>>
>> Let's say you made such a test probe and calibrated it with fresh brake fluid that is mixed with various percentages of distilled water (0,1,2,3,4,&5%).
>>
>> Now you could put this calibrated probe into a random brake fluid reservoir and get a result everyone could agree on.
>>
>> It would probably provide an inaccurate reading due to soluble metals, salts and minerals contaminating the brake fluid. However that would only cause errors on the side of caution. If it gave a high enough resistance reading, that would indicate the reservoir was adequately dry.
>>
>> The next issue to worry about is: how fast does moisture migrate from wheel cylinders back to the master cylinder reservoir? I don't know. However, you could flush a small quantity from each bleeder valve and test that in some very small sample container directly in-line with the bleeder hose. Flush until the reading is good enough. This would be an excellent way to conserve on brake fluid, if that was a significant business expense.
>>
>> For readers that wonder why:
>> Water content is very bad for brakes. A hot brake cylinder will exceed the boiling point, turning water into steam.
>>
>> Brake fluid is designed to dissolve water and draw it away from the brake cylinders. The master brake cylinder is connected to the reservoir when the pedal is up, so this moisture is also diluted into that large volume as well.
>>

>Are you looking for something like this ?

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Automotiv...dp/B079V5N29M/

The problem with testing brake fluid is then you're exposing it to the atmosphere.
It'll soak up all the moisture available. Better to do what I do. Leave it in peace.