Screeching Noise...

Old June 25th 07, 06:29 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Gareth Hill

Default Screeching Noise...

Following up on similar posts...

> "Screech" when drive off first thing, or after parked up for while. Screeching disappears as car
> warms up and seems loudest when it's cold or wet. It does NOT happen until the clutch is
> depressed and drive engaged. So parked up in neutral no noise no matter how hard you rev.
> Depress the clutch and instant screech. It screeches while driving for the first couple of miles
> too.
>
> 1. lubricant on the clutch face allowing it to slip until it warms up and
> catches. hence it goes away after 10mins.
>
> 2. One Alfa dealer told me it might be the release rod and
> quoted me Euro 1,200 to fix it!
>
> 3. Had the same problem a few months back, it was the clutch release
> bearing.
>
> So perhaps it really is clutch related. Mine was completely quiet
> yesterday as temperatures here rose above 15C. This morning, temperature
> back in single figures, it was screeching again for the first couple of
> miles. When it was really cold last week, it took more like 5 miles for
> the noise to disappear...

Did anyone solve this screeching problem? My 156 1.8TS has started to
do the same, assumed it was the auxillary belt and was just about to
order a replacement, then I thought I would have a quick check for
similar problems on here... Should I be looking at the clutch
instead?

Do you think this is a problem you could leave if you can stand the
noise or will it cause more serious problems. Just my wallets tired of
fixing problem after problem with my 156 (133,000 miles) so tempted to
just put up with it.

Old July 9th 07, 10:41 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Barry Bingham

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 10:29:18 -0700, Gareth Hill wrote:

> Do you think this is a problem you could leave if you can stand the
> noise or will it cause more serious problems. Just my wallets tired of
> fixing problem after problem with my 156 (133,000 miles) so tempted to
> just put up with it.

Well, I left mine.. helped by the fact that the screeching stopped once
the warmer (over 15C) weather arrived. Been in Scotland this last
week where it recurred just once: on a morning start when the temperature
was 7C.... But I'll probably start fretting about it and looking
for fixes again come October time..