Manual tire changers on 50-series tires?

Old January 4th 05, 04:00 AM
el Diablo

Default Manual tire changers on 50-series tires?

"Doug Warner" > wrote in message
Since I can't seem to find a tire shop that can remove and remount a
tire without breaking one of my SmartTire pressure sensors, I'm
considering doing it myself in the future.

Has anyone used a tire changer like this:
http://www.northerntool.com/images/p...s/13472_lg.jpg
to replace 50-series tires?
My current car uses 205-50-16's, and I'm wondering of this thing has
the leverage to break the bead and then pull the bead over (and back
on) an aluminum rim without destroying either of them.

To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

Most manual tire changers will cause harm to an aluminum wheel when the
tires are stiff. This is because you are trying to man handle the lever
around the center. I'd find a performance tire and wheel shop. They
generally have a lot of experience with these things. Also I always let them
know what I expect up front. It keeps there attention on the task better.

Brian