Is this Jeep worth it?

Old October 29th 05, 01:56 AM
jimboe via CarKB.com

Default Is this Jeep worth it?

I'm no automotive expert, but many of you here seem to be, so I'm trying to
obtain as many opinions as possible on this.

Is a:
94 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, V8 5.2
200K miles (Overwhelmingly highway-- Bklyn to LI and back daily)
No leaks or bad emissions
Body/Interior very good condition
Original owner
Always regularly maintained (oil/tranny fluids, etc.)
Never a major repair (engine, tranny)
Still performing fine in said capacity above
A/C no longer functional

Worth $1000?

How long, for how many miles can these things last if they're properly
maintained?

Is it likely the engine or tranny will fall out simply from age/mileage?

How many more miles can I expect out of it without a major failure? I only
drive about 10K/yr (75% city, 25% highway).

I personally know the seller so there's no reason to be skeptical of bad
motives in this case.

Where would the oil/tranny dipsticks be located if I'm facing the engine?

Are there any other tips on what to check/look for?

I'm deciding on whether to go check it out.

TIA
Old October 29th 05, 02:10 AM
Mike Romain

That must be a Grand Cherokee or a transplanted engine.

But the price is well worth it. Even if you have to drop a rebuilt
engine in in the future, it still is worth it in my opinion.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Aug/05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2120343242
(More Off Road album links at bottom right of that page)

Old October 29th 05, 02:20 AM
Dale Beckett

jimboe via CarKB.com alleged...
> I'm no automotive expert, but many of you here seem to be, so I'm trying to
> obtain as many opinions as possible on this.
>
> Is a:
> 94 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, V8 5.2
> 200K miles (Overwhelmingly highway-- Bklyn to LI and back daily)
> No leaks or bad emissions
> Body/Interior very good condition
> Original owner
> Always regularly maintained (oil/tranny fluids, etc.)
> Never a major repair (engine, tranny)
> Still performing fine in said capacity above
> A/C no longer functional
>
> Worth $1000?
> []

Yes, it's worth $1000. Although anything can break on a car with that many
miles on it, there's no reason to expect a major catastrophic failure.

--

Dale Beckett
Old October 29th 05, 02:32 AM
Billy Ray

Properly maintained they 5.2 liter (318 cid) engines will last a very long
time.

What do you plan to do with it?

We are assuming it is a Grand Cherokee (ZJ)

--
(remove SPAM)
2002 Jeep WJ 4 Liter Automatic

Old October 29th 05, 02:33 AM
Billy Ray

Properly maintained they 5.2 liter (318 cid) engines will last a very long
time.

The most important thing is that you are getting a vehicle with a known
history

Old October 29th 05, 02:41 AM
Mike Romain

I had a 318 last over 400K miles. It blew the timing chain and I sold
the vehicle. The engine was still strong. 2 to 3 tanks per quart of
oil, but good mileage still.

Old October 29th 05, 02:44 AM
Billy Ray

What happened to the 200+ pix that Steve took on the trip?

Old October 29th 05, 02:55 AM
jimboe via CarKB.com

Indeed it is a Grand Cherokee. Sorry for that.

As far as use goes, well I don't plan on any off-road stuff. Just as I said,
I do about 10K mi./yr driving, 75% city, 25% highway I'd guess. I can't
afford really anything much now (this is about as much as I can spend at the
moment), my old 1989 honda is going and I don't want to put any more $$ into
it.

It's got an engine seal leak (emissions white when floored), oil pan/tranny
case leak (a few drops over night). Every 3 wks I add ~qt engine oil. Gas
mileage is <20 mi/gal cuz of these probs., and that's w/super (engine has
knocks/hard starts w/ regular). Over the last couple months a tranny problem
has appeared. If I drive it before warming it for ~5 mins. (even in the
summer) the tranny does not shift gears until very high RPM's.. once warm, it
shifts/drives normally-- there's enough fluid, I recently had a flush w/the
machine, and put Lucas in also-- no effect at all.

There are other minor issues, but it does run fine overall. I just fear that
the tranny may not make the winter. Now this Jeep came along, and if I could
expect 2 years out of it, based on what I've told you, and what my driving
habits are, that'd be OK by me.
Old October 29th 05, 03:15 AM
Billy Ray

You had me worried there ... while you were describing the Honda I, at
first, thought you were talking about the Grand.

I would expect you will get many years good service, especially with as
little as you plan to drive it.

Knowing the vehicle history is a big plus. The most important thing is to
change the oil and filter every 3000 miles and the other items on the SEVERE
service schedule at their appropriate time and keep you tires aired up.

In addition to general Jeep advise there are several Grand Cherokees near
your vintage here in the group.

br

Old October 29th 05, 03:41 AM
DougW

jimboe via CarKB.com did pass the time by typing:
> Indeed it is a Grand Cherokee. Sorry for that.
>
> As far as use goes, well I don't plan on any off-road stuff. Just as I said,
> I do about 10K mi./yr driving, 75% city, 25% highway I'd guess. I can't
> afford really anything much now (this is about as much as I can spend at the
> moment), my old 1989 honda is going and I don't want to put any more $$ into
> it.

You going to probably have to put more into the ZJ given what you say
it has problems with.

> It's got an engine seal leak (emissions white when floored), oil pan/tranny
> case leak (a few drops over night). Every 3 wks I add ~qt engine oil. Gas
> mileage is <20 mi/gal cuz of these probs., and that's w/super (engine has
> knocks/hard starts w/ regular). Over the last couple months a tranny problem
> has appeared. If I drive it before warming it for ~5 mins. (even in the
> summer) the tranny does not shift gears until very high RPM's.. once warm, it
> shifts/drives normally-- there's enough fluid, I recently had a flush w/the
> machine, and put Lucas in also-- no effect at all.

the white smoke is coolant being burned because the engine has a blown
head gasket. If left long enough it will destroy (erode) the piston and
bore requiring an engine rebuild.

sucking oil indicates the problem has probably gone further with worn guides
or damaged rings.

oil drips are fairly common. rear main seal for the engine and output shaft
bushing on the tranny are the usual culprits.

Given the state of this engine I doubt the previous owner did any routine
maintenance and probably abused the hell out of the vehicle.

Just my feeling, but your in for an engine rebuild and tranny overhaul,
and given those problems I'd also wonder about the other mechanicals
diffs/transfer case (if it has 4wd).

Now for some reality:

5.2 shortblock $2,500
Cylinder Block With Pistons & Rings, Crankshaft, Connecting Rods & Bearings.
Cylinder Head (each) $341
Upper Overhaul gasket kit $100
Transmission, All Models, 5.2L, $2,304.20

And that's assuming you do your own work. Figure labor is
going to be about half the part.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi in UK Dori A Schmetterling Chrysler 4 June 2nd 05 10:22 PM
What is a TJ? Brian Foster Jeep 23 January 22nd 05 06:06 AM
Jeep VS others Elliot Westcott Chrysler 64 December 19th 04 02:22 PM
Chrysler to show Jeep pickup and "FirePower" sports car concepts inDetroit MoPar Man Chrysler 4 December 10th 04 07:45 PM