Way to disable passenger airbay in '97 TJ?

Old November 4th 05, 08:46 PM
Bret Ludwig

Default Way to disable passenger airbay in '97 TJ?

Mike Romain wrote:
> Airbags are designed for brain dead adults who refuse to use seatbelts,
> nothing else.
>
> They Kill small people even in fender benders. That has happened up
> here recently.
>
> Children are not supposed to be in the front seats anymore because of
> this.

First off they are not air bags. They are sodium azide bags. If you
think sodium azide is safe try to buy some anyplace but in an airbag.

Secondly, law or no law, I take them out. I disconnect their firing
circuit, at least, and have gone as far as removing the pax side one
and replacing the steering wheel with a hokey aftermarket one to set
the standard one aside.

Old November 4th 05, 09:19 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The air bag deploying at over three hundred miles an hour will snap
the neck of anyone under a hundred pounds. And those small people as you
suggest for some reason slide there seat forward seating themselves in
harms way: http://www.airbagonoff.com/dr_smock's_research.htm
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old November 4th 05, 09:21 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Where do you live that your friends don't call it an "air
bag"?????????
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old November 4th 05, 09:27 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Rob,
Some Stealerships will install the optional passenger seat
disabling switch after you sign the normal forms for litigious reasons,
and of course pay their outrageous prices, I would set it up a little by
removing the rear seat and install a child's seat.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...rch+this+group
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old November 4th 05, 10:39 PM
Dave Milne

The ideal solution is to fit the Airbag cutoff switch. It looks like this

http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2/...Code=Wrangler8

(looks like this just has the bezel). Anyhow, to work it you just insert the
ignition key and turn a key switch; a warning light is illuminated on the
bezel.

Regards,
Dave Milne

"Fidelio" > wrote in message
> OK I'm from Spain and I'm interesting in having that airbag being

temporaly
> off in a '97 TJ.
>
> As far as I read there is a fuse (at the fuse panel) to manage that. But

I'm

Old November 5th 05, 02:28 AM
Jeff Strickland

The NHTSA has a form that you can fill in, and the dealer will install a kit
for you that disables the passenger airbag just like in the later models.

oups.com...

Old November 5th 05, 02:30 AM
Jeff Strickland

Actually, in the States we found that people put kids in the front seat of
trucks, and the Jeep Wrangler is listed as a truck. We have a means of
adding a passenger side airbag bypass switch to keep children in the front
seat safe. Well, as safe as can be expected riding in the front seat ...

Old November 5th 05, 02:48 AM
mabar

My '02 TJ had a passenger side air-bag cutoff switch standard. My '06 TJ
does not have a cutoff switch.

This is progress???

Tom

Old November 5th 05, 03:15 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You didn't buy the '02 with a back seat.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old November 5th 05, 05:49 AM
Will Honea

I wonder how so many of us lived before we had this wonderful
government going all out to protect us.

I doubt it was really accurate but several years back I saw an article
where someone figured out the cost to save on life with added
restraints and regulations. It was some very large number. According
to his figures, we are all woefully underinsured if we are each worth
that much.

--
Will Honea