Way to disable passenger airbay in '97 TJ?

Old November 5th 05, 06:19 AM
TW

Default Way to disable passenger airbay in '97 TJ?

I realise that. Unfortunately, in New Zealand all Wranglers are sold with
rear seats and classed as four seat passenger vehicles.

I can change the specs and make it what I want, then I have to get it
certified as a "low volume vehicle" i.e. a lot of inspection fee and an
adjustment to my insurance premium for it being a special purpose
vehicle....

TW

Old November 5th 05, 09:23 AM
Jason Backshall

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> Airbags are designed for brain dead adults who refuse to use seatbelts,
> nothing else.

Complete and utter nonsense.

In order for an airbag to be effective, you *must* be wearing your
seatbelt - not doing so will often result in serious injury or even death as
a result of the driver/passenger being in the wrong position when the bag
inflates.

J.

Old November 5th 05, 10:29 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

If the seat belt restraints work as designed the passengers will
never impact the steering wheel nor dash. Understand?
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old November 5th 05, 12:58 PM
mabar

Yes I did. '02 Wrangler Sport with a back seat straight from the factory,
and it came with a passenger air bag cutoff switch standard.

Tom

Old November 5th 05, 02:33 PM
Mike Romain

Jason Backshall wrote:

> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> > Airbags are designed for brain dead adults who refuse to use seatbelts,
> > nothing else.
> >

> Complete and utter nonsense.
>
> In order for an airbag to be effective, you *must* be wearing your
> seatbelt - not doing so will often result in serious injury or even death as
> a result of the driver/passenger being in the wrong position when the bag
> inflates.
>
> J.

You should read some history. Even from this link someone else posted:

American airbag designs triggering much more quickly than airbags
designed for other countries, to protect occupants not wearing seat
belts.

And:

they were touted in the 1960s and 70s as a potential seat belt
replacement,

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Aug./05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2120343242
Old November 6th 05, 03:37 AM
Patrick Ô¿Ô

My 02 X had a back seat from the factory as well, and had a cut off switch.
My 05 doesn't.

Patrick
Ô¿Ô

Old November 6th 05, 05:06 PM
Jeff Strickland

Are they ALWAYS sold with a back seat? The base model 4 banger hasn't got a
back seat in the States. And, the back seat is a removable feature to give a
truck-like cargo area.

All I'm suggesting is that one ask the question before blindly taking "no"
for an answer. The later years of production have a bypass switch that the
'97s don't have. We can get the bypass switch added, perhaps you can as
well.

Old November 6th 05, 10:23 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

My '00 Sport has the cutoff switch as well. Back seat came factory
installed.

Wifey's '04 Unlimited did not come with the switch.

Old November 7th 05, 06:28 AM
Jason Backshall

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
> Are they ALWAYS sold with a back seat? The base model 4 banger hasn't got
> a back seat in the States. And, the back seat is a removable feature to
> give a truck-like cargo area.

Yup, for both Australia and New Zealand

We're pretty limited for choice here.. No Rubicon or anything of the sort.
The Wrangler is available in 'Sport' model by default, with a Renegade pack
on top of that should you so desire. The 2.5L 4cyl isn't available here
either.. although that may be a good thing

All models are sold with back seat as standard.. I believe they're also sold
with aircon and CD as standard too?

Hence the $29,990 asking price for the entry-level model down under (down
from $33,990 a few years ago!)

J.

Old November 7th 05, 08:24 AM
TW

As Jason said, we don't have 4-bangers here. Only an inline 6. All come in
two trims (Sport or Renegade), with the option of soft or hard-top (or
both). No Rubi here yet. I have been told by the local dealer that they
will be bringing in Unlimiteds with four door option starting from Jan '07.
No decision yet on Rubi.

Keep in mind, our steering wheel is on the right side of the rig..... Not
much market for Wranglers when competing against Jap imports.