Oil Consumption 2000 JGC V-8

Old September 4th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

Default Oil Consumption 2000 JGC V-8

And 5w is so light, it's probably burning when it's cold.

Carl

Old September 4th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

James proclaimed:

> Carl , maybe I will try to switch to 10W-30 and see if that makes a
> difference.

If your engine has gone from burning no oil to suddenly increased oil
consumption, something is wrong. It may not be seriously wrong or it
might be something that if you don't fix it will cost money. First look
for leaks and then if you don't find any, try compression/leakdown test.
A good mechanic will often tell you whether it is something that will
just cost you a bit of oil consumption or a lot of money.

After you find out what it is, you might want to try a half can of STP
in the oil.
Old September 4th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeffrey DeWitt

STP is great stuff in a really tired engine, but that doesn't really
sound like James's problem.

Before adding something like STP I'd try the 10W-30 change and if that
didn't do it 10W-40.

But a sudden change would be worrisome, with normal wear the increase
should be gradual, I suspect something else is going on, and probably a
lot cheaper to fix than a ring job!

(By the way, did you guys know STP used to be a Studebaker product? <G>)

Jeff DeWitt

Old September 4th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
philthy

what engine do you have???

Old September 4th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

He has a 2000 V-8 so it should be the 4.7

Old September 4th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

Technically STP was a Granatelli product... the guys that scared the
bejasus out of the Indy 500 folks until a bearing gave loose.

The problem with all the recommendations to go to 10W anything is that
they presume the oil temperature would be staying low orders of
magnitude longer than it really does in any engine in temperate climes.

Jeffrey DeWitt proclaimed:

Old September 6th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeffrey DeWitt

From the STP website:

"In October 1954, three businessmen with a mere $3,000 in start-up
capital introduced the first STP® product in St. Joseph, Mo.
Scientifically Treated Petroleum, better know as STP, began with one
product � STP® Oil Treatment � that helped automobile motor oil resist
thinning at high temperatures and pressures.

The group, composed of Charles Dwight (Doc) Liggett, Jim Hill and Robert
DeHart, began packaging STP® in a backyard garage. They packaged it at
night and sold it from the trunks of their cars during their business
and pleasure trips. The company�s initial growth and profitability �
attributed to strong word-of-mouth and the brand�s link to auto racing �
enabled STP to introduce its first Gas Treatment in 1960. In 1961, STP
was purchased by the Studebaker Packard Corporation. Andy Granatelli was
appointed CEO in 1963 and began to increase the brand�s marketing
efforts through auto and boat racing. Eventually, STP sponsored its own
Indy Car racing team, featuring Mario Andretti, the winner of the 1969
Indianapolis 500."

However if I remember right the three businessmen actually acquired the
formula from the German Army and STP started life as a product that
helped the German war effort in WWII.

Jeff DeWitt

Old October 14th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Marcus

Aside from all the other comments, if it is suddenly using more oil than
normal, then ignoring it will just accelerate engine deterioration over
time. The oil contamination creates excess carbon deposits that increase
wear throughout the engine -- especially the piston rings.

It could be that the valve seals are going bad. I would think that valve
seals may be fairly easy on that engine -- once the cam covers are removed.
Just getting them off may be a challenge in itself since they're sizeable
magnesium castings and there are things in the way.

One possibility would be to determine if there's any blue smoke in certain
situations. It may be faint so you may have to ride in a second vehicle
trailing your Jeep on a sunny day and watch carefully for puffs of blue
smoke.

For example, if there's a puff of blue smoke upon initial acceleration after
idling for a minute, I think that would suggest a valve seal issue, since
the higher manifold vacuum draws more oil down the valve guides into the
cylinder during deceleration and idling. It's not burned much during that
idling/deceleration phase, but then when power is applied the oil is
suddenly burned, creating the puff of blue smoke.

If you see any blue smoke but it's fairly constant, rather than a puff here
and there, that would probably suggest worn rings. This is certainly a
possibility since, on the 4.7L, the distance from the top ring groove to the
top of the piston is only 1/8 of an inch. That 'dead space' between the
piston and cylinder wall above the top ring tends to trap unburned fuel, so
reducing that space improves emissions. But then the rings are more
susceptible to wear and heat since they're pushed closer to the combustion
chamber. The wrist pins also tend to be higher up on the piston nowadays to
allow use of longer connecting rods for improved torque, and this means
thinner rings which are more crowded together at the top of the piston.

The oil consumption may not be great enough to create noiceable blue smoke,
though. And, of course, there are other possibilities. A head gasket
problem could allow oil to seep into a coolant passage, so make sure no oil
is getting into the coolant...

. ..

Old October 14th 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Most manufacturers say that 1 quart per 1000 miles can be considered
'normal' so 1 quart in 3000 miles certainly fits in that range.

That being said I would be surprised at that amount of wear in an engine
where synthetic had been used since new, or seals damaged under those
conditions.

Another possibility could be stuck piston rings, if you were to add one
ounce of SeaFoam to each cylinder through the sparkplug hole and let it soak
for a hour or so before reinstalling the spark plug would probably remove
any deposits causing the rings to stick. Be advised the engine will product
a lot of smoke for a few minutes after a SeaFoam treatment.

Sometimes this will break carbon free and cause a misfire, if this happens
you may need to clean the plugs (swirl in a bit of SeaFoam) before
replacement

If you think the seals may be failing you can switch to one of the 'high
mileage' (over 75k) motor oils. They claim to help rejuvenate the seal
suppleness.

I think I would stay with 5w-30 oil, especially in the wintertime weather.

. ..

Old October 14th 06, 07:08 AM posted to rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

billy ray wrote:
> Most manufacturers say that 1 quart per 1000 miles can be considered
> 'normal' so 1 quart in 3000 miles certainly fits in that range.

Normal?!!
1 qt in 1000 miles would have a cloud following you down the road
and 4000 miles to engine seizure.

I have over 132,000 Miles and have near zero oil loss between changes.

That much oil loss indicates a problem. It may be as simple as
a clogged CCV tube or a leaking ring/valve seal.

Checking the plugs will tell you if a cyl is burning oil
as the plug will be deeply covered or clogged with soot.

Oil is known to leak from the rear of the I6 valve cover and
even the sides.

>> "James" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>>

>>> This Jeep has 125,000 miles. Runs good, no problem. I have used
>>> Mobil 1
>>> synthetic oil since it was new.
>>>
>>> The engine used almost no oil until I got to about 110,000 miles. After that, I started noticing that it was using some oil,
>>> which I
>>> thought was normal. After now paying closer attention, I see that
>>> it now uses one quart
>>> every 3,000 miles.

AWA [OFFER] OEM Fuel Filter for Volkswagen and Audi [email protected] General 0 November 29th 05 03:51 AM
93 Mustang tach shows 2000 rpm at idle. seems like 2000 rpm is thenew zero??? remove Ford Mustang 5 September 25th 05 06:40 PM
Misfires above 2000 RPM. JimS Jeep 5 March 14th 05 06:08 PM
'98 Ex Vs. 2000 Ex Simon H Ford Explorer 1 December 12th 04 08:48 PM
Lift options for 2000 Chevy Blazer Steve 4x4 4 June 15th 04 05:09 AM