AutoZone rant

Old December 17th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
twaldron

Default AutoZone rant

Hang in there, man!

tw

Lon wrote:

> One of life's little signals you might want to consider moving on is how
> the sheer weight of cremation and grave site offers tend to increase as
> you pass the mid 60's.
>

> twaldron proclaimed:
>
>> At least it wasn't a funeral home.
>>
>> tw
>>
>> Clint wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, well, a few years ago, we had to put our cat down. About a
>>> month later, we got a nice card from the vet, saying "Thanks for your
>>> business, and we hope you'll keep us in mind the next time" sort of
>>> message. Thought that was kind of insensitive...
>>>
>>> Clint

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton
capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II.
Old December 17th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_3_]

"Lee Ayrton" > wrote

*trimmed the length a little*

>> That's pretty screwed up.
>> Isn't there some antiquated law that says that they HAVE to - I think it
>> has
>> to be in coin or something but I believe there is a law like that.
>> Why not pay it online?

> You might be thinking of the legend on US paper currency that says that it
> is "legal tender for all debts, public and private." It doesn't require
> the debtee to _accept_ the form of payment, only that it is legally
> acceptable. There's several test cases on this, mostly around people
> making "protest payments" of taxes in the form of barrels of pennies, and
> it has been held that a creditor can refuse accept such payment without
> voiding the debt.
>
> In Billy Ray's example above I'm guessing that the bill-payment outposts
> refuse to handle cash because the other payment forms are much more
> difficult for common folk to steal and easier to account for. My credit
> union refuses to accept large quantities of loose coin for much the same
> reason -- rolled coin is easier to handle and there can be no claim on my
> part that they dropped some and it rolled under the counter before being
> credited to my account.
>

> --
> "I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with
> whips....r"
> R. H. Draney recalls AFU in the Good Old Days.

I knew about the whole protest thing, and the merchant's right to refuse a
payment in loose coin but something still nags at me about cash being
something they have to take.
I'm likely wrong. or very close to it.

Kate

Old December 17th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeffrey DeWitt

Or you start getting junk mail from the AARP... but I've been getting
mail from them since I was in my 30's, and the only think I'll ever send
them is one of their postage paid reply envelopes, securely fastened to
a brick.

Jeff DeWitt

Old December 17th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeffrey DeWitt

But then you just wouldn't know if kitty was still alive or not!

Jeff DeWitt

Old December 17th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeffrey DeWitt

Ahh good old Maijer, I remember when it was Meijer's Thrifty Acres!

Jeff DeWitt

Old December 17th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeffrey DeWitt

I think you answered your own question, now if it was a Studebaker... <G>

Jeff DeWitt

Old December 17th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeffrey DeWitt

Kate wrote:
> "Greg" > wrote in message
>
>> I think I would of picked up the nearest thing worth that check and
>>walked out, let the cops come, ask the cops how they know it was you, if
>>the cops says he has your check, then say well how could it be steeling
>>then?

> LOL, that's funny.
> I wonder what WOULD have happend... I never wanted a pair of matching
> bracelets that were connected though.

Could have gotten really interesting, after all he had your check. If
the police got involved you could point out the the clerk took
(accepted) your check so what is the problem? In the highly unlikely
event you did get the matching bracelets a good lawyer would likely get
you your own AutoZone store in exchange.

Jeff DeWitt

.. .

Old December 18th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

Oh, no, the AARP mail starts long before you turn 60.

Once other little moment is when you use the AARP card for senior
discounts, they quit carding you.

As part of this growing old era, I'm seriously thinking about growing up
one of these days. Which is kinda hard for a man whose life ambition
is to go out at the age of 101 at the hands of an irate father.

Jeffrey DeWitt proclaimed:

Old December 20th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_3_]

Oh God Jeff!
My husband started getting stuff from them in his 40s.
After a couple of years he wrote "DECEASED" on one of their letters and sent
it back to them. He didn't get anything again until he filed for SSI last
year at 62.

THEN he wrot 'Until you stop mixing in politics, I want nothing to do with
your anti-gun organization!" and sent it back in their envelope.
Again, we are off their mailing list.

Kate

Old December 20th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
mabar

Agreed!

snip