BIG BROTHER IS COMING!! (was: teen driver alert)

Old December 11th 04, 09:16 PM
Bill 2

"GPSMike" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hey thanks for the comments. I never represented that the images were
> real time. Yes the images are superimposed over the map, it just gives
> the requesting party the ability to identify fixed buildings and other
> landmarks to aid in the location of their vehicles.

You see the roofs of buildings, not very useful unless you are planning on
flying to your car in a helicopter. Maps will indicate major landmarks, and
will indicate cross streets, etc. A map and address / coordinates is
sufficient, the photo is a bit of a gimmick.

Old December 11th 04, 09:18 PM
Bill 2

"Richard Ness" > wrote in message
> "GPSMike" > wrote in message

oups.com...

> > I thought spamming was sending unsolicited mass e-mails or flodding
> > message boards with advertising.

> Crossposting may possibly qualify you....

I think Scott was the one to originally cross-post.

Old December 11th 04, 09:18 PM
Bill 2

Old December 11th 04, 10:10 PM
High Sierra

Richard Ness wrote:
> Crossposting may possibly qualify you....
>
> I wasn't complaining, just a word of caution.
> Some newsgroups have members who are HIGHLY
> militant and will complain to your ISP with very little
> provocation. It's good to be VERY aware of this.
>
> Proceed with EXTREME caution.
>

> "GPSMike" > wrote in message oups.com...
>
>>Richard Ness wrote:
>>
>>>He didn't bring to your attention that you are a spammer.
>>>
>>>Another word of advice to take heed of:
>>>Be very careful when spamming. Complaints will get you shut
>>>down VERY quickly

>>I thought spamming was sending unsolicited mass e-mails or flodding
>>message boards with advertising. Neither of these things I have done.
>>All I wish to accomplish is to drive a specific demographic to my site.

You could substitute "HIGHLY anal" for "HIGHLY militant".
Old December 11th 04, 10:10 PM
High Sierra

Old December 11th 04, 10:36 PM
GPSMike

Bill 2 wrote:

> You see the roofs of buildings, not very useful unless you are

planning on
> flying to your car in a helicopter. Maps will indicate major

landmarks, and
> will indicate cross streets, etc. A map and address / coordinates is
> sufficient, the photo is a bit of a gimmick.

Isn't any feature a bit of a gimmick? If you don't like photos then
noone says you have to use it. You're right, that the map and
coordinates are sufficient but the photos by no means inhibits the
functionality of unit and at the very least look at it this way.
Let's say you have your car stolen, you log in, you see the map. Sure
the map gives you the coordinates but let's say just for arguments
sake that the vehicle is at 1256 W Highland street (as the address) and
that address is a huge complex of buildings that's all part of one
corporate address. The satellite imagery will be able to tell you
precisely where in that complex and be able to assist you in
determining which landmark the vehicle is closest to. So if you
consider the satellite imagery a gimmick, then don't use it. It
doesn't harm the user or the device in any way. Other than that, do
you like the product?

Old December 11th 04, 10:36 PM
GPSMike

Old December 11th 04, 11:03 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004, GPSMike wrote:

> I thought spamming was sending unsolicited mass e-mails or flodding
> message boards with advertising. Neither of these things I have done.
> All I wish to accomplish is to drive a specific demographic to my site.

Your ignorance notwithstanding, posting advertisements to chartered
newsgroups is a kind of spamming. Usenet is not your litterbox or
billboard, so knock it off.
Old December 11th 04, 11:03 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old December 11th 04, 11:34 PM
Bill 2

"GPSMike" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Why would you want the viewpoint from the driver? If your car is
> stolen, and it's on the freeway being driven, with this you can
> identify that it is ON the freeway or in front of a building or
> something along those lines.

If you are at all able to use a map you could identify whether it's on a
highway. In front of a building is a little useless since there are many
buildings in existance. You would have to be able to identify the building
in the arial photo, in which case you would be familier with the area and
could probably identify where it is simply by looking at the map.

Also, unless you happen to have a live internet connection in the car you're
using to track yours (or have someone relaying information over the phone),
the car might not be where the website last said it was.

> And on top of that, it gives you the
> address or location and orientation (direction traveling)

Which are much more useful than a photo.