Driving lessons in American schools

Old December 16th 04, 10:55 PM
fbloogyudsr

"John Rowland" > wrote
> Someone told me that American children learn to drive as part of the
> school
> curriculum. This seems unlikely to me, because I can't really see 30 cars
> and 30 driving instructors showing up at the school simultaneously, so I'm
> wondering if I've been told the truth, and if so, how does it work. Thanks
> in advance.

As Reeves says: not any more. Essentially, Driver's Ed. was passed off
to private contractors 15-20 years ago (although there may be some areas
where they're still in the public school system.) However, most public
schools
allow signups at the school, or provide bulletin board space, etc.

I learned in a Plymouth Satellite with my gym (physical ed.) teacher
Mr. Eustace - a 6'8" guy - way back. Actually, I learned 7-8 years
earlier in our WWII army Jeep on our farm and on Forest Service roads...

Floyd

Old December 17th 04, 04:45 AM
Arif Khokar

TCS wrote:
> you're the one whose mistaken. Almost all american high schools have some
> kind of driver's ed program.

Which certainly doesn't really teach you how to drive.
Old December 17th 04, 04:45 AM
Arif Khokar

Old December 17th 04, 05:02 AM
TCS

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 04:45:37 GMT, Arif Khokar > wrote:

> > Daniel J. Stern > wrote:
>>>Nope, that's wrong.

>TCS wrote:
>> you're the one whose mistaken. Almost all american high schools have some
>> kind of driver's ed program.

>Which certainly doesn't really teach you how to drive.

It's a lot better than nothing. It's the people who have never received
any instruction that are the worst.
Old December 17th 04, 05:02 AM
TCS

Old December 17th 04, 05:39 AM
Dave Stone

wrote:
> >On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, John Rowland wrote:

> >> Someone told me that American children learn to drive as part of the

school
> >> curriculum.

> >Nope, that's wrong.

> you're the one whose mistaken. Almost all american high schools have some
> kind of driver's ed program. Not everybody participates, but they exist.

Yeah, but the OP said "part of the school curriculum"...big difference.

Old December 17th 04, 05:39 AM
Dave Stone

Old December 17th 04, 05:53 AM
Dave Stone

"John Rowland" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Someone told me that American children learn to drive as part of the

school
> curriculum. This seems unlikely to me, because I can't really see 30 cars
> and 30 driving instructors showing up at the school simultaneously, so I'm
> wondering if I've been told the truth, and if so, how does it work. Thanks
> in advance.

Some schools do offer driver's ed programs, mine was during the summertime
right after school was out.

However in the US it is not typically classified as part of the school's
curriculum such as math, science, etc which you take for credit in order to
graduate.

FYI, when I had mine about 12 years ago there were 2-3 students for every
car plus 1 instructor (we alternated). And the cars were all forgettable GM
products.

Old December 17th 04, 05:53 AM
Dave Stone

Old December 17th 04, 05:53 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, TCS wrote:

>>> Someone told me that American children learn to drive as part of the school
>>> curriculum.

>> Nope, that's wrong.

> you're the one whose mistaken. Almost all american high schools have
> some kind of driver's ed program.

That was last true in the early 1980s. We're talking about now, today.

American cars Dave Antique cars 6 February 13th 05 04:27 PM
Subject: Traffic School - online traffic school experience response [email protected] Corvette 0 October 9th 04 05:56 PM
grrrr this is driving me insane here chatterx Dodge 6 May 26th 04 03:23 PM