Driving lessons in American schools

Old December 17th 04, 05:53 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, TCS wrote:

>>> Someone told me that American children learn to drive as part of the school
>>> curriculum.

>> Nope, that's wrong.

> you're the one whose mistaken. Almost all american high schools have
> some kind of driver's ed program.

That was last true in the early 1980s. We're talking about now, today.
Old December 17th 04, 06:30 AM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

Kids are taught by their parents. They take them out to an empty lot
and that seems to work ok. Everyone knows HOW to drive safely and
sensibly but they drive dangerously and crazy because the penalties are
so light. Driver ed is NOT the answer to the incredible highway carnage
of 110 americans a DAY. We need DL suspensions and can-time.

Old December 17th 04, 07:55 AM
Alan Baker

In article .com>,
"Laura Bush murdered her boy friend" > wrote:

> Kids are taught by their parents. They take them out to an empty lot
> and that seems to work ok. Everyone knows HOW to drive safely and
> sensibly but they drive dangerously and crazy because the penalties are
> so light. Driver ed is NOT the answer to the incredible highway carnage
> of 110 americans a DAY. We need DL suspensions and can-time.

You simpleton: look at Germany.

Lots of mandatory education and a tough driver's test leads to far lower
accident rates.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old December 17th 04, 07:55 AM
Alan Baker

Old December 17th 04, 11:26 AM
Nate Nagel

Alan Baker wrote:

> In article .com>,
> "Laura Bush murdered her boy friend" > wrote:
>

>>Kids are taught by their parents. They take them out to an empty lot
>>and that seems to work ok. Everyone knows HOW to drive safely and
>>sensibly but they drive dangerously and crazy because the penalties are
>>so light. Driver ed is NOT the answer to the incredible highway carnage
>>of 110 americans a DAY. We need DL suspensions and can-time.

> You simpleton: look at Germany.
>
> Lots of mandatory education and a tough driver's test leads to far lower
> accident rates.

Not only that, but here in the US you can teach someone to drive
perfectly correctly but they still may or may not follow your example -
because anyone can see that the vast majority of drivers on the road
have no idea about simple concepts like how to handle a 4-way stop,
KRETP, etc. etc. etc. and a lot of people just make up their own rules
as they go, including many professional drivers.

Speaking of making up one's own rules I got stuck in front of another
Metro bus the other day, boy do I hate that. WHY do they have their
high beams on all the time?

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old December 17th 04, 11:26 AM
Nate Nagel

Old December 17th 04, 03:37 PM
Sportster4Eva

DTJ wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:02:26 -0500, Sportster4Eva
> > wrote:
>

>>John Rowland wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>Someone told me that American children learn to drive as part of the school
>>>curriculum. This seems unlikely to me, because I can't really see 30 cars
>>>and 30 driving instructors showing up at the school simultaneously, so I'm
>>>wondering if I've been told the truth, and if so, how does it work. Thanks
>>>in advance.
>>>

>>I believe it's untrue....

> Then maybe you should let an American answer.

Nice....

I was born and live in the U.S.
I own an american car, and an american truck, and an american bike.
I drink Busch beer and have a US flag hanging in front of the house.
I'm not a redneck, but I love redheads....
I like corn flakes and Warner Brothers cartoons.
Does that qualify me?

I remember that there may have been instructional classes in school, but
never any actual in-car driving lessons. You had to go to a driving
school for that.

--
Paul
'91 XL1200

Old December 17th 04, 03:37 PM
Sportster4Eva

Old December 17th 04, 06:19 PM
The Lindbergh Baby

Nate Nagel wrote:

> Speaking of making up one's own rules I got stuck in front of another
> Metro bus the other day, boy do I hate that. WHY do they have their
> high beams on all the time?

Probably because they are told it is "safe" driving. There are some
people who believe you can never have bright-enough headlights to be
visible. [rolls eyes]

John

--
To reply, remove "die.spammers" from address

American cars Dave Antique cars 6 February 13th 05 04:27 PM
Subject: Traffic School - online traffic school experience response [email protected] Corvette 0 October 9th 04 05:56 PM
grrrr this is driving me insane here chatterx Dodge 6 May 26th 04 03:23 PM