Fixed mast antenna for E30?

Old January 25th 07, 06:06 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Fixed mast antenna for E30?

I've owned my '89 E30 (325is) since brand new. I've replaced the
motorized antenna mast at least 4 times and it's broken again. I'd like
to replace this antenna with a simple, non motorized fixed antenna mast
because the part alone is around $150. My local BMW shop won't do it
(they're not really creative thinkers or improvisers; they just like to
bolt on parts). I haven't been to the dealer, yet. Has anyone tried
this? If so, what type of antenna did you purchase?

Many thanks in advance!! JP

Old January 25th 07, 10:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Psycho

Define broken? Is it just the mast won't go up and down or has it
truely died? If the motor runs but the mast itself is stuck (which I
suspect is the case), you just need a new mast. In this case, your
local shop has been soaking you for a new antenea when in fact you
needed a $20 mast. The motor units are pretty reliable but the mast
gets gunked up (since nobody cleans and properly lubes them) and stops
going up and down.

Old January 25th 07, 10:42 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On 25 Jan 2007 10:06:19 -0800, wrote:

>I've owned my '89 E30 (325is) since brand new. I've replaced the
>motorized antenna mast at least 4 times and it's broken again. I'd like
>to replace this antenna with a simple, non motorized fixed antenna mast
>because the part alone is around $150. My local BMW shop won't do it
>(they're not really creative thinkers or improvisers; they just like to
>bolt on parts). I haven't been to the dealer, yet. Has anyone tried
>this? If so, what type of antenna did you purchase?
>
>Many thanks in advance!! JP

Get a piece of TV aerial cable and fit a plug to fit your radio. Lead the cable
up to the front screen and tape into position. Now strip off all the outer
plastic covering, all the plaited shielding bar a few inches and fix this to the
car body with a screw somewhere out out sight. Now strip off all the inner
plastic around the centre core wire and using Freezer tape (its clear and stays
that way. Tape the bare wire up the side of the screen and along the top.

One nice radio aerial that cannot be removed by vandals or pack up electrically
as there is no motor.

Yo could get a choke (electrically) kit that will use the rear screen heater as
an aerial as in the 5 & 7 series. An easy and cheap one to look for is one from
an old ROVER Sterling UK car. The amplifier and choke unit is under the rear
screen in the trunk/boot and is held by 4 screws. Connections are marked so easy
fit all you need is extra cable which is also fitted to the car so off to the
local wrecker or eBay.............

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old January 25th 07, 11:09 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

The E36 convertibles have a fixed antenna that is mounted to the rear
fender. It has a rubber base that is about 4 inches long, so it can flex
when something hits it.

I've seen them on eBay.

I think your car has a convertible model that uses a similar antenna.

oups.com...

Old January 26th 07, 09:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Thanks to everyone. Great suggestions. Cheers, JP

On Jan 25, 6:09 pm, "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:
> The E36 convertibles have a fixed antenna that is mounted to the rear
> fender. It has a rubber base that is about 4 inches long, so it can flex
> when something hits it.
>
> I've seen them on eBay.
>
> I think your car has a convertible model that uses a similar antenna.
>
> > wrote in ooglegroups.com...
>
> > I've owned my '89 E30 (325is) since brand new. I've replaced the
> > motorized antenna mast at least 4 times and it's broken again. I'd like
> > to replace this antenna with a simple, non motorized fixed antenna mast
> > because the part alone is around $150. My local BMW shop won't do it
> > (they're not really creative thinkers or improvisers; they just like to
> > bolt on parts). I haven't been to the dealer, yet. Has anyone tried
> > this? If so, what type of antenna did you purchase?

> > Many thanks in advance!! JP

Replaced 96 power antenna mast, but mast is loose my_two_cent Mazda 0 April 23rd 06 04:50 PM
Diffulty removing power antenna 93 ZJ jimboe via CarKB.com Jeep 6 February 3rd 06 05:36 PM
Power antenna NH Vette guy Corvette 0 December 29th 05 02:29 AM
'98 EB Explorer Antenna Problem Jim Ford Explorer 4 August 2nd 05 05:54 PM
Installing a power antenna Dave Smith Mazda 6 November 30th 04 01:36 AM