Okay, give me heck, but I forgot...

Old May 18th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Okay, give me heck, but I forgot...

Okay. The '58 is coming out of storage after (how long?) So, which way does
the gas tank switch turn for main and for reserve? It's in the middle (off)
now.

I hope Joey answers first.

--
cringing, waiting for the stinging blow - john

Old May 18th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"2" > wrote in message
> Okay. The '58 is coming out of storage after (how long?) So, which way
> does the gas tank switch turn for main and for reserve? It's in the middle
> (off) now.
>
> I hope Joey answers first.
>
> --
> cringing, waiting for the stinging blow - john

woohooo....i get requested...can't let ya down now john!!!

Z for "zu" or "closed"
A for "auf" or "open"
R for "reserve"
the 3
positions of the fuel lever, at 12 o'clock, 1:30 and 3:00 respectively.
Unless
you have a pre '53 split, then its 9:00, 12:00, 3:00).

now in all honesty that is not from my head, which has limited knowledge on
older vehicles....but thankfully Micah had the same problem with the
car...<G>

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...d63 9e6d01b47

Old May 19th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Old May 19th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Joey Tribiani" > wrote:

> woohooo....i get requested...can't let ya down now john!!!

You be de Man, Joey! Good for you to Be There!

> Z for "zu" or "closed"
> A for "auf" or "open"
> R for "reserve"

Mine ain't marked. No plate.

> the 3
> positions of the fuel lever, at 12 o'clock, 1:30 and 3:00 respectively.

Aw man, Joey! Mine has 12 o'clock to 12:30, and that's all it has. Really!
1/2 turn.

> now in all honesty that is not from my head, which has limited knowledge
> on older vehicles....but thankfully Micah had the same problem with the
> car...<G>

Yah! And ya know this is Micah's ride! What say we drag him out and feed him
full of beer and 'fess up to this mystery!

If he doesn't show up, it's just us.

Seriously, Chris. The thing only goes from 12'oclock to 12'30. I'm gonna
just guess that 12' is the tank, 12:15 is off, and 12'30 is reserve. That's
the way my '56 Harley worked.

Anywho, I'll ride it out of storage as soon as I get a new battery tommorw.
If I totally **** up with my guess, I'll buy the next round.

Good to know you are there, Man.

John

Old May 19th 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"2" > wrote in message
> Good to know you are there, Man.
>
> John

sorry i can't help more...i figured since that thread was for Micah and
about that very car, it may help....anyway, good to see you getting the bug
out....have fun with it....did you ever fix the GT2? i liked that car.....

Old May 19th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Joey Tribiani" > wrote:

> sorry i can't help more...i figured since that thread was for Micah and
> about that very car, it may help....anyway, good to see you getting the
> bug out....have fun with it....did you ever fix the GT2? i liked that
> car.....

The GTII is fine, now. The engine ain't. It had a regular backfire at under
2K RPM from day-one. Still does. When/If I ever find some time I'll do a
compression test.

Old May 19th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

> Seriously, Chris. The thing only goes from 12'oclock to 12'30. I'm gonna
> just guess that 12' is the tank, 12:15 is off, and 12'30 is reserve.
> That's the way my '56 Harley worked.

asuming US specs are the same as Euro.
Mine ('59 stock) only goes from 12 to 12'15;

12' is open
12'15 is reserve
12'07 (ish) is closed.

Hth
Roger

Old May 19th 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"bug '59" > wrote:

> asuming US specs are the same as Euro.
> Mine ('59 stock) only goes from 12 to 12'15;
>
> 12' is open
> 12'15 is reserve
> 12'07 (ish) is closed.

Mine turns closer to 12:20, but we are close enough. Thanks for that. I'm
sure they are the same.

Say, didn't John Henry make some replicas of the plate that goes over the
lever? Can't find a reference right now.

Old May 19th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"2" > wrote in message
> "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
>
>> sorry i can't help more...i figured since that thread was for Micah and
>> about that very car, it may help....anyway, good to see you getting the
>> bug out....have fun with it....did you ever fix the GT2? i liked that
>> car.....

> The GTII is fine, now. The engine ain't. It had a regular backfire at
> under 2K RPM from day-one. Still does. When/If I ever find some time I'll
> do a compression test.

did you ever discuss this with Jake?....Maybe do a leakdown test...could be
possible bad valve seating area or actual bad seat....probably on the
exhaust side(kind of a "duh "statement, i know...)

Old May 19th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"2" > wrote in message
> "bug '59" > wrote:
>
>> asuming US specs are the same as Euro.
>> Mine ('59 stock) only goes from 12 to 12'15;
>>
>> 12' is open
>> 12'15 is reserve
>> 12'07 (ish) is closed.

> Mine turns closer to 12:20, but we are close enough. Thanks for that. I'm
> sure they are the same.
>
> Say, didn't John Henry make some replicas of the plate that goes over the
> lever? Can't find a reference right now.

http://www.zarwerks.com/ click on "new parts"....scroll down to about the
fifth or sixth item...

The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
Cruise lever... forgot to mention J & J BMW 0 March 28th 05 08:19 PM
forgot to mention about the cruise control lever J & J BMW 0 March 28th 05 08:19 PM
Forgot to mention about cruise lever J & J BMW 0 March 26th 05 07:06 AM
Sorry forgot to add Kev_Ceri VW air cooled 5 November 1st 04 02:38 AM