Bar's Head Gasket Repair, another follow-up...

Old February 16th 08, 02:44 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Default Bar's Head Gasket Repair, another follow-up...

Well. It finally stopped snowing/icing enough (actually got near 50
degrees for a minute today) for me to change the oil on the Subaru GL
Hatch that had the Head Gasket Repair stuff thrown in.

Pleasing results. I did not see any green around the gaskets where I had
seen it before the 'repair', and after adding the oil and lifting the
front of the car on ramps, with the engine running, there was NO seepage
from either gasket! I was a bit surprised.

Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself here; the car needs to run for about
another 45-60 days before I can take it off the road and have a look at
doing a PROPER repair.

Or, maybe, should I even bother?

Old February 16th 08, 03:02 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Ray O

"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
> Well. It finally stopped snowing/icing enough (actually got near 50
> degrees for a minute today) for me to change the oil on the Subaru GL
> Hatch that had the Head Gasket Repair stuff thrown in.
>
> Pleasing results. I did not see any green around the gaskets where I had
> seen it before the 'repair', and after adding the oil and lifting the
> front of the car on ramps, with the engine running, there was NO seepage
> from either gasket! I was a bit surprised.
>
> Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself here; the car needs to run for about
> another 45-60 days before I can take it off the road and have a look at
> doing a PROPER repair.
>
> Or, maybe, should I even bother?

If the stuff worked and it ain't broken...
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Old February 16th 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

A proper repair is your best bet.Would the Model Garage have thrown in
mouse milk? Would the auto factories be turning out mouse milk? I am
glad that stuff worked good enough for you, I wouldn't trust it too far
though.

www.devilfinder.com Gus Wilson Model Garage
cuhulin

Old February 16th 08, 03:48 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 21:02:41 -0600, Ray O wrote:

> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
>> Well. It finally stopped snowing/icing enough (actually got near 50
>> degrees for a minute today) for me to change the oil on the Subaru GL
>> Hatch that had the Head Gasket Repair stuff thrown in.
>>
>> Pleasing results. I did not see any green around the gaskets where I had
>> seen it before the 'repair', and after adding the oil and lifting the
>> front of the car on ramps, with the engine running, there was NO seepage
>> from either gasket! I was a bit surprised.
>>
>> Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself here; the car needs to run for about
>> another 45-60 days before I can take it off the road and have a look at
>> doing a PROPER repair.
>>
>> Or, maybe, should I even bother?
>>

> If the stuff worked and it ain't broken...

Yeah...that's what I was thinking. But, it nags at the back of my
brain....would be nice to have a PROPERLY repaired car, and it's in decent
shape...

Old February 16th 08, 04:05 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
M.J.

"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 21:02:41 -0600, Ray O wrote:
>

>> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
>>> Well. It finally stopped snowing/icing enough (actually got near 50
>>> degrees for a minute today) for me to change the oil on the Subaru GL
>>> Hatch that had the Head Gasket Repair stuff thrown in.
>>>
>>> Pleasing results. I did not see any green around the gaskets where I had
>>> seen it before the 'repair', and after adding the oil and lifting the
>>> front of the car on ramps, with the engine running, there was NO seepage
>>> from either gasket! I was a bit surprised.
>>>
>>> Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself here; the car needs to run for about
>>> another 45-60 days before I can take it off the road and have a look at
>>> doing a PROPER repair.
>>>
>>> Or, maybe, should I even bother?
>>>

>> If the stuff worked and it ain't broken...

> Yeah...that's what I was thinking. But, it nags at the back of my
> brain....would be nice to have a PROPERLY repaired car, and it's in decent
> shape...

Lulling yourself into thinking everything is fine and it wasn't
just a patch-up job can be dangerous. At the least, you might
get stranded somewhere.

Instead of retaining control, that is what a patch-up job does,
gives you time to do the repair on your own terms, when you
are ready financially or otherwise, have the time to do so.
Relinquishing that control and reverting to being at the mercy
of a broken part is bad strategy.

M.J.

Old February 16th 08, 12:57 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Ph@Boy

Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
> Well. It finally stopped snowing/icing enough (actually got near 50
> degrees for a minute today) for me to change the oil on the Subaru GL
> Hatch that had the Head Gasket Repair stuff thrown in.
>
> Pleasing results. I did not see any green around the gaskets where I had
> seen it before the 'repair', and after adding the oil and lifting the
> front of the car on ramps, with the engine running, there was NO seepage
> from either gasket! I was a bit surprised.
>
> Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself here; the car needs to run for about
> another 45-60 days before I can take it off the road and have a look at
> doing a PROPER repair.
>
> Or, maybe, should I even bother?

I'm kinda liking these reports on the "holistic wrench in a can"
products you're testing Hachi. Keep us updated. I hope it works for you
until you can get the car into your "healing gardens".

I have an exhaust manifold to pull off later Hachi so I'm setting on the
floor with my legs folded, Holding my middle finger and thumb together
forming a circle and chanting ohmmmmmmmmmm.

Old February 16th 08, 09:15 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 07:57:48 -0500, Ph@Boy wrote:

> Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
>> Well. It finally stopped snowing/icing enough (actually got near 50
>> degrees for a minute today) for me to change the oil on the Subaru GL
>> Hatch that had the Head Gasket Repair stuff thrown in.
>>
>> Pleasing results. I did not see any green around the gaskets where I had
>> seen it before the 'repair', and after adding the oil and lifting the
>> front of the car on ramps, with the engine running, there was NO seepage
>> from either gasket! I was a bit surprised.
>>
>> Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself here; the car needs to run for about
>> another 45-60 days before I can take it off the road and have a look at
>> doing a PROPER repair.
>>
>> Or, maybe, should I even bother?
>>

> I'm kinda liking these reports on the "holistic wrench in a can" products
> you're testing Hachi. Keep us updated. I hope it works for you until you
> can get the car into your "healing gardens".
>
> I have an exhaust manifold to pull off later Hachi so I'm setting on the
> floor with my legs folded, Holding my middle finger and thumb together
> forming a circle and chanting ohmmmmmmmmmm.

I find making up my own mantra works quite effectively! However, the guy
next door usually tells his kids, "It's time to come inside now!" when
I'm not-so-quietly reciting my mantras...

What car is the manifild coming off of?

Old February 16th 08, 09:18 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 22:46:23 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 03:48:34 GMT, Hachiroku ???? > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 21:02:41 -0600, Ray O wrote:
>>

>>> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message

>>> If the stuff worked and it ain't broken...

>>Yeah...that's what I was thinking. But, it nags at the back of my
>>brain....would be nice to have a PROPERLY repaired car, and it's in
>>decent shape...
>>

> What makes you think the "repair" won't last? You need to let nature run
> it's course.

LOL! I have NEVER had one of these "quick fixes" work properly! Usually I
get some performance, usually very little, or if it does work it doesn't
work for long.

Also, I only started doing my own work a few years ago (3-5) and am
learning as I go along, and replacing a head gasket looks like a challenge
....perhaps too much of one?

I also have a '97 Legacy that is pumping exhaust gas into the radiator.
Perhaps I should do the gaskets on that car first, or try the Genie in the
Bottle stuff on that one...but the heads look easier to remove on the 1.8l.

Old February 16th 08, 09:20 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 20:05:20 -0800, M.J. wrote:

> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 21:02:41 -0600, Ray O wrote:
>>

>>> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message

>>> If the stuff worked and it ain't broken...

>> Yeah...that's what I was thinking. But, it nags at the back of my
>> brain....would be nice to have a PROPERLY repaired car, and it's in
>> decent shape...

> Lulling yourself into thinking everything is fine and it wasn't just a
> patch-up job can be dangerous. At the least, you might get stranded
> somewhere.
>
> Instead of retaining control, that is what a patch-up job does, gives you
> time to do the repair on your own terms, when you are ready financially or
> otherwise, have the time to do so. Relinquishing that control and
> reverting to being at the mercy of a broken part is bad strategy.
>
> M.J.

That's what I'm thinking. But I only use this car for 80 miles a day, 22
miles from home at the furthest point, between the hours of 1-5AM...

and my AAA is expired...

Old February 16th 08, 10:05 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 21:20:47 GMT, Hachiroku ???? >
wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 20:05:20 -0800, M.J. wrote:
>

>> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message

>>> Yeah...that's what I was thinking. But, it nags at the back of my
>>> brain....would be nice to have a PROPERLY repaired car, and it's in
>>> decent shape...

>> Lulling yourself into thinking everything is fine and it wasn't just a
>> patch-up job can be dangerous. At the least, you might get stranded
>> somewhere.
>>
>> Instead of retaining control, that is what a patch-up job does, gives you
>> time to do the repair on your own terms, when you are ready financially or
>> otherwise, have the time to do so. Relinquishing that control and
>> reverting to being at the mercy of a broken part is bad strategy.
>>
>> M.J.

>That's what I'm thinking. But I only use this car for 80 miles a day, 22
>miles from home at the furthest point, between the hours of 1-5AM...
>
>and my AAA is expired...

And I've seen those repairs go for MANY years - particularly in a case
where the only leak was an external one. Leaks into the combustion
chamber are a lot less likely to be satisfactory long-term.

Then again, I've been known to use boiler sealer on a clunker and have
it last 5 or more years - on a leak to the combustion chamber - and
even oc a frost damaged block.