99Ford explorer does fuel filter have anything to do with battery dying?

Old August 13th 05, 05:16 AM
NoClueMCA

Default 99Ford explorer does fuel filter have anything to do with battery dying?

My 99 ford explorer has recently started dying.It only happens
occasionally...most of the time it will not want to start after sitting
for over about 5 hours. I will have to keep my foot on the gas, so that
the battery will not die. Once it gets going it is fine and then it
sits...Will a fuel filter and oil change help?

Old August 13th 05, 12:22 PM
Mikepier

I'm not sure I understand your problem. Do you mean the engine dies? If
so, it's probably the IAC valve, a common problem. It's easy to remove
and clean, or replace. Typical symptoms are the truck can't idle, but
runs fine if you step on the gas.
As far as the battery dying in relation with the fuel filter, one has
nothing to do with the other.

Old August 13th 05, 11:06 PM
Ron Bozich

Could be a fuel pressure regulator or injector, you need to have a fuel
system pressure check done. Best place is your local Ford dealer.

Ron

Old August 18th 05, 07:58 AM
weatherbe

since you guys are on the subject of fuel filters, I have a 200 explorer
and the fuel filter tool they sell to remove the old one. I gave it a go
using the picture on the package, squeeze and pull up. It ain't comming
off. Any tricks or insight to what I'm missing here would be greatly
appreciated. thxs

Old August 18th 05, 08:28 PM

Mikepier wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand your problem. Do you mean the engine dies? If
> so, it's probably the IAC valve, a common problem. It's easy to remove
> and clean, or replace. Typical symptoms are the truck can't idle, but
> runs fine if you step on the gas.

Interesting- here are some great pictures and instructions on cleaning
the IAC (idle air control valve):

http://tinyurl.com/9rwsa

Be sure you read the comments after the main article about cleaning the
felt filter inside the black plastic cap.
-Paul

Old August 18th 05, 10:15 PM
ross via CarKB.com

NoClueMCA wrote:
>My 99 ford explorer has recently started dying.It only happens
>occasionally...most of the time it will not want to start after sitting
>for over about 5 hours. I will have to keep my foot on the gas, so that
>the battery will not die. Once it gets going it is fine and then it
>sits...Will a fuel filter and oil change help?

I had hard starting after my Ex sat for several hours. Leaky fuel injector
that flooded the cylinder. You can pull the plugs and look at them closely,
you will probably have lots of deposits on the plug in the problem cylinder,
you may even smell gas.

The car would start fine after a short stop