85 Jetta GLI Fuel Pump Relay - 4 or 5 terminals?

Old November 19th 09, 04:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Wayne Faas

Default 85 Jetta GLI Fuel Pump Relay - 4 or 5 terminals?

The fuel pump relay on my 85 Jetta GLI with CIS-E fuel injection has 4
terminals. However, the Bentley manual shows 5 terminals. The only 4
terminal fuel pump relay I could find in the schematics was for an 87 16V
(CIS-E). I thought that only the the CIS system used a 5 terminal relay.

Old November 19th 09, 01:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 04:49:17 GMT, Wayne Faas >
wrote:

>The fuel pump relay on my 85 Jetta GLI with CIS-E fuel injection has 4
>terminals. However, the Bentley manual shows 5 terminals. The only 4
>terminal fuel pump relay I could find in the schematics was for an 87 16V
>(CIS-E). I thought that only the the CIS system used a 5 terminal relay.

I've gotta ask: "Was it workign with the four terminal relay at any
point in time?" if yes, then I'd say four was correct. <g>
Old December 17th 09, 02:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Rich

PeterD wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 04:49:17 GMT, Wayne Faas >
> wrote:
>
>> The fuel pump relay on my 85 Jetta GLI with CIS-E fuel injection has 4
>> terminals. However, the Bentley manual shows 5 terminals. The only 4
>> terminal fuel pump relay I could find in the schematics was for an 87 16V
>> (CIS-E). I thought that only the the CIS system used a 5 terminal relay.

> I've gotta ask: "Was it workign with the four terminal relay at any
> point in time?" if yes, then I'd say four was correct. <g>

On my 1984 GTI (CIS), remember when you first turned on the key, the
fuel pump would kick on momentarily for a couple seconds to charge up
the system. Perhaps what the fifth pin was for, now done by computer.