4WD part-time light question

Old December 4th 04, 01:27 PM
Snow

Default 4WD part-time light question

Just wondering what turns on and off the 4wd part-time and full-time lights
on a 93 XJ (4.0, atw4 tranny)? I noticed last night that the indicator
lights don't turn on. T-case still shifts and engages into both 4wd drive
settings, this morning a few local roads were just slippery enough to allow
me to shift into 4 high and try it. Does the light get turned on by the
same vac. switch as the t-case?

Snow...93 XJ

Old December 4th 04, 02:42 PM
RoyJ

The older YJ's and XJ's had a vacumn switch sitting up on the firewall,
right next to the battery. Switch cuts in only after the front axle is
locked. Newer models have the switch as an intergal part of the diaphram
on the front axle. Cutover was '91 on the YJ, a year or so earlier on
the XJ. You can easily check which you have: old units have 3 vac ports
on the axle, newer ones have 2 vac ports and a wire terminal.

Did you actually get inot 4wd? Keep in mind that your transfer case can
switch into 4WD, your axle may not have made it. The light does not come
on until it is locked. Usual problem is bad vac harnes, next is the vac
switch on the tranny. Or just the usual assortment of bad wire, bunred
out bulb. Harness runs about $35 at the dealer, switch is about $16.
Lots of guys go with the manual cable, $200 as an accessory, less if you
make your own.

Old December 4th 04, 02:42 PM
RoyJ

Old December 4th 04, 03:47 PM
Snow

Yeah I'm pretty sure it went fully into 4 high, I turned 4 corners 2 of
them slippery the other 2 were dry. I wasn't going fast and the 2 corners
that were dry I could feel the front wheels do the "hop" they do when in 4wd
on a dry surface. I used to park in an semi underground parking lot, or
rather had to drive through one to get to my parking spot and needed 4wd
before I entered and after I exited to get into my spot (had turn a couple
corners and the front would hop if it was in 4wd). I haven't checked the
bulb yet, I'll do that tomorrow when I get home from work.

Snow...

k.net...

Old December 4th 04, 03:47 PM
Snow

Yeah I'm pretty sure it went fully into 4 high, I turned 4 corners 2 of
them slippery the other 2 were dry. I wasn't going fast and the 2 corners
that were dry I could feel the front wheels do the "hop" they do when in 4wd
on a dry surface. I used to park in an semi underground parking lot, or
rather had to drive through one to get to my parking spot and needed 4wd
before I entered and after I exited to get into my spot (had turn a couple
corners and the front would hop if it was in 4wd). I haven't checked the
bulb yet, I'll do that tomorrow when I get home from work.

Snow...

k.net...

Old December 4th 04, 06:27 PM
RoyJ

Check the connection on the axle before pulling the dash off to get at
the bulbs. Put it in 4wd, move forward and backward a few feet to help
drop it in, see if the swich reads close to zero ohms. then see if the
connector is any good.

Old December 4th 04, 06:27 PM
RoyJ

Old December 4th 04, 11:39 PM
Snow

Where would I find the switch, I haven't looked yet, or is it quite easy to
see?

Snow...

news

Old December 4th 04, 11:39 PM
Snow

Where would I find the switch, I haven't looked yet, or is it quite easy to
see?

Snow...

news

Old December 4th 04, 11:58 PM
Mark12211

I once did a poll here in this newsgroup. 62% of the readers who responded had
a 4X4 light on their Jeep that malfunctions somehow.