Smell of Gasoline ('99 Wrangler Sahara)

Old December 6th 04, 07:27 PM

Wow this is weird, I too have the same exact thing and was going to
post on it today!... I have had a slight smell of gas (noticeble more
when i have the jeep in the garage and it is closed) and i just thought
i might have leaked a bit after my last fill up, that has been going on
for about 2 weeks.. and today my check engine light came on.. i did the
key trick for the diag code and got 'P 1486' which is "pinched of
blocked hose in the evaportative hose system"
How do i fix this? is it it urgent?

Kurt

Old December 6th 04, 08:12 PM
Mike Romain

Figure it is your gas tank vent.

If it has a hole in a line, gas can leak if the tank is over full or
tipped.

If it is blocked, it can cause tank pressure issues. Too much pressure
could make smell or blow a fitting, too little pressure and the engine
will run out of gas. That happens lots on the old 258's when the air
filter for the canister gets mud blocked, they run out of gas.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old December 6th 04, 08:12 PM
Mike Romain

Old December 8th 04, 05:03 PM

I have an 01' TJ, i took a look under the hood and the jeep.. and i
didnt see any indication of gas leak, Does anyobe know which line i
should check for blockage? where the char. canister is? How important
is it i get this fixed asap?

thank you all
Kurt

Old December 8th 04, 05:26 PM
Mike Romain

I don't know what kind of troubles it could cause other than the fumes
exploding maybe if the furnace in the garage turns on or someone tosses
a smoke in the wrong place though I don't think that is likely....

I 'think' the canister on the TJ is a square thing that sits up high on
the fender. I could be mistaken there though. On the CJ and YJ the
canister is way down low on the fender and it's air filter gets blocked
with mud. The fix is a new $2.00 filter on those ones or a good scrape
if the mud didn't soak in too bad.

The lines for it run down the drivers side and hook to the tank via a
hose from the frame rail to the tank. The front has a hose again from
the steel line to the canister. These hoses and fittings can come loose
or crack.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's