Anyone using an Electrac?

Old December 6th 04, 03:41 AM
Chad Fraker

Default Anyone using an Electrac?

I'm looking for some feedback on the Tractech's Electrac
Is anyone using this?
http://www.tractech.com/Products.htm

Old December 6th 04, 03:00 PM
Greg

About a month ago I was reading a magazine in the grocery store, would
either be JP mag or 4Wheeldrive mag, and as I was skimming though they were
taking out the electrac and putting back in the regular detroit, it wasn't
working as they expected.
I gave up waiting for the electrac for my model 20 rear, Tractech replied
to my emails 3 times over the last year saying it was coming, just in
testing stages, so I gave up.

Old December 6th 04, 03:00 PM
Greg

Old December 7th 04, 02:34 AM
ppdavid

I bought a 99TJ with a D44 from Isuzu Rodeo in the rear. It had a Detroit
Electrac in it but I pulled it out and installed an ARB.
I had done some research on the Electrac and it appeard to be a good locker
except for 2 features (my view).
1) It uses an external electrical actuator that is mounted on the outside of
the diff cover. Although it had some protective covers, it is still fairly
exposed. The actuator is the same unit commonly used on the front axle of
some GM products (Blazer?)
2) It is tricky to set up. Requires you to look thru the hole for the fill
plug and make an external adjustment that allowes the actuator to make
proper contact with the internal shift fork. From info I have seen posted
by Detroit, this adjustment is critical and is the leading cause of
failure....misadjustment allows the shift fork to work the gears and
eventually something fails.
I set this TJ up for my son and I did not want him to worry about the setup
in the future so I installed the ARB.

Every locker has good & bad points. Pick your poison.
Paul D

Old December 7th 04, 02:34 AM
ppdavid