Rubicon Express?

Old December 7th 04, 03:59 AM
Carl Saiyed

You didn't need axle shims, t-case drop, track bar or anything else? Just
the kit and the shocks?

Sorry for asking so many times, I just don't want any suprises.

Carl

"Kevin in San Diego" > wrote in message
> The RE 3.5 kit was all I needed to start with. It was better than a stock
> ride. I had bilstein shocks with mine.
> KH
>
> "Carl Saiyed" > wrote in message
> > Also, what else did you need? IE, track bar, T-case drop, ect.
> >
> > Carl
> > "Carl Saiyed" > wrote in message
> >> So you reccomend the 3.5" Lift kit w/rear springs and the Old Man Emu
> >> shocks?
> >>
> >> Carl
> >>
> >> "Jim Kelly" > wrote in message

Also
> >> have

is

Old December 7th 04, 05:07 AM
Steve

Hi Carl,

You may not need shims or a tcase drop. I put the 4.5" RE kit on mine.
It has the same rear springs but with longer shackles that had the
effect of tipping the D35 pinion up. In order to get a parallel slope
(minus 1 degree on the pinion to account for spring wrap) on the tcase
output, I dropped the tcase cross member, but it wasn't enough to match
the pinion angle and eliminate the ujoint vibes on the rear shaft. The
solution for me was to shim the pinion *down* a few degrees. I'm
guessing that you won't need to do that.

After you install, measure your angles carefully and listen for vibes at
all speeds. You can assemble your own tcase drop as required with bolts
and washers from the hardware store. Although it reduces your clearance,
a tcase drop is good because it eases relative angles at the ujoints.

When I replaced the D35 with a D44, the pinion was a bit lower so I was
able to remove the shims. Another problem I had with the D35 was that
the stock slip yoke was just barely hanging on the tcase output splines.
This was cured by the longer pinion in the D44. Not sure if this issue
was solely cased by the travel of my longer rear shackles, but you might
want a RE1822 or a YJ yoke to avoid it.

Another component lacking in the RE kit is rear bump stop extensions.
Daystar makes them.

Two differences between 'SuperRide' and 'SuperFlex'. SuperFlex comes
with RE swaybar disconnects while 'SuperRide' has fixed links. I
recommend you replace either ones with JKS Quickers or something
comparable. The other difference is the rebuildable 'SuperFlex' joints
in the lower control arms. These last indefinitely whereas rubber
bushings like those in SuperRide require periodic replacement. Perhaps
more importantly, the flex joints allow greater travel while the rubber
bushings may cause the lower arms to be the limiting factor in
articulation. Not sure though if your stock UCAs or track bar would
limit first.

Overall the quality of the RE components seems very good to me. Shop
around to get a better price than that advertised on the RE site. I
opted for OME shocks and I like them. I was thinking of the 3.5" kit
when I was shopping around, but I settled on the 4.5" kit because I
could fit 33x10.50 tires on my stock rims while deferring the fixed yoke
conversion and new shaft upgrade. So far no regrets.

Steve
http://xjeep.dyndns.org

Old December 7th 04, 05:07 AM
Steve

Old December 7th 04, 05:35 AM
Kevin in San Diego

Yes, my 88 just needed the kit and shocks. Also RE lifts go on big and the
3.5 may look more like 4" when first installed. What year is yours carl. If
its very new then it is more likely to have problems that need tweeking.

Old December 7th 04, 05:35 AM
Kevin in San Diego

Old December 7th 04, 05:54 AM
Carl Saiyed

Mine is an 89 Cherokee Pioneer 5spd. 4.0Liter, D35 rear.

Old December 7th 04, 05:54 AM
Carl Saiyed

Old December 7th 04, 04:45 PM
Steve

Carl,

'Super-Ride' is just a marketing name to make a cheaper option sound
more appealing. I doubt that ride comfort is significantly better. Don't
worry, either kit with OME shocks will give you a *much* better ride
than your sagged out 15 year old stock suspension.

The 3.5" kit can later be upgraded to 4.5" by adding longer rear
shackles, front coil spring spacers, longer upper control arms, and a
longer track bar. If you think this may be in your future, consider
substituting adjustable lower control arms for another $20 each.

Note that the OME shock has a small circlip to hold the retaining washer
that centers it on its bar pin. The clips can be difficult to install
correctly and have been known to pop off allowing the shock to slide
around on the pin. Haven't had trouble with mine, but I recently tack
welded the retaining washers to the pins to be safe. The OME design
preloads the bushing so bar pin eliminators aren't required, but they
can be used to avoid the circlip failure issue:

http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1310

Be sure to order the long shocks:

OME N35L (front): 26.7" open, 15.7" compressed
OME N36L (rear) : 24.5" open, 14.6" compressed

The standard size is definitely too short for your lift, but the 'L'
size may be on the long side so be double sure that your bump stops are
extended far enough to hit the axles well before the shocks are fully
compressed.

The RE6030 kit lists on the RE site for $680. I recall getting quotes
from online dealers for less than $480 so shop around.

Steve
http://xjeep.dyndns.org

Old December 7th 04, 05:50 PM
Jim Kelly

I bought my lift (albeit the 6025) from Bob Supplee. I highly recommend
him. Quick and very helpful. A quick google search will yield his contact
information.

Jim
94XJ

Old December 7th 04, 07:52 PM
Ichabod Shagnasti

Sorry for the hijacked thread...

Jim... you wouldn't happen to be in PA would you? I know it's likely a
common name, but I work w/ someone with the same name and am just curious...
I'm in Little Rock myself.