Towing with Wrangler Unlimited

Old December 7th 04, 04:44 AM

Default Towing with Wrangler Unlimited

I bought a new 2004 Wrangler Unlimited this evening. I would be
interested in comments from anyone who has towed a travel trailer with
their Unlimited. In particular, what types of travel trailers would fit
within the 25 square-foot front surface area limitation. Probably a
pop-up, but without actually going to a dealer I'd be interested in
knowing what type of trailer might be appropriate.
Thanks in advance.

Martin Caskey
Millers Island, Maryland

Old December 7th 04, 09:27 AM
hrncir

Martin, here is an answer to your question, from the Yahoo Unlimited group,
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rum/message/83

Here is the text of that posting, please see original at the above
address.....
the writer is encouraging any questions, see original post at Yahoo site.

Gus Hrncir
----------

I want to share my great experiences with a yellow Unlimited that
has towed a 3500lb. travel trailer over 13,000 miles so far (Florida
to Alaska to Maine).

First I should describe the modifications made:

31X10.5 Goodyear MT/R tires
Air-Lifts on rear springs (0-3.5in variable lift)
Trailer hitch - Draw-Tite 3500lb/350lb tongue with one friction
antisway bar
Prodigy brake controller
Cruise control (Mopar)
Smoke Bug shield and fender guards
Grill covers for fog and headlights
Garmin ChartPlotter navigation GPS mounted on dash "tray" over radio

The trailer os an '04 Trail-Lite Bantam Flier F17 (17ft. length)

I will post a photo in the photo section.

The combination was towed at 50-55 mph for the 13,000 mile trip with
wonderful results (only negative was a windshield chip). Milage was
about 10-12mpg on the average. I was able to climb hills at 40-50
mph that left the other two rigs we were on the trip with way behind
(larger trailers with trucks to tow them). No overheating problems
and I generally just left the overdrive on unless some back and
forth gear hunting was observed.

The air-lift arrangement perfectly compensated for the 3in. rear
drop that would have occured with the stock suspension and the
350lb. tongue load. Breaking with the Prodigy controller was fine
including a panic stop in Alaska that came within 6in. of a crazy
local driver that pulled out in front of me from a side road.

Comfort was good including 10-12hr. days (returned in 11 days -
4700mi.)using cruise control 90% of the time Playing an iPod MP3
thru the FM radio gave us many hours of music when stations were
weak or non-existing.

All in all this trip exceeded my expectations. While running at the
maximum ratings for towing sounds potentially problimatic for such a
long trip I think that conservative driving made the difference. I
don't think driving at over 55mph would have been acceptable and
could have caused downshifting much more frequently thus lowering
milage and drive train stress. Use of a lower frontal area pop-up
camper would possibly have allowed higher speeds but we wanted the
convinience of the more standard height trailer we used. (Our other
RV is a 40' triple slide-out diesel pusher motor home!) This was
much more like traditional camping and we used a Honda 2000 watt
portable generator when boondocking about half the time.

I would be happy to answer any questions anyone may have either in
this forum or directly to me at al@s...

PS - The Unlimited now has 19,000 miles on it since May 15,2004.

oups.com...

Old December 7th 04, 09:27 AM
hrncir

> [...]

maximum ratings for towing sounds potentially problimatic for such a
long trip I think that conservative driving made the difference. I
don't think driving at over 55mph would have been acceptable and
could have caused downshifting much more frequently thus lowering
milage and drive train stress. Use of a lower frontal area pop-up
camper would possibly have allowed higher speeds but we wanted the
convinience of the more standard height trailer we used. (Our other
RV is a 40' triple slide-out diesel pusher motor home!) This was
much more like traditional camping and we used a Honda 2000 watt
portable generator when boondocking about half the time.

I would be happy to answer any questions anyone may have either in
this forum or directly to me at al@s...

PS - The Unlimited now has 19,000 miles on it since May 15,2004.

oups.com...

Old December 7th 04, 04:02 PM
RoyJ

Anyone who thinks that is a normal experience that can be copied should
have their head examined. And please stay off the roads I drive on.

Old December 7th 04, 04:50 PM
Tom Greening

I'm curious as to the basis of this opinion. Apparently he is within
factory towing specifications, albeit at the very high end.

nk.net...

Old December 7th 04, 06:02 PM
RoyJ

According to the Jeep website, all the Wranglers EXCEPT the two
Unlimited models are rated at 2000 pound gross trailer weight. (SE is
only rated to 1000 pounds.) I wonder what is so special about the
Unlimited? The issue is not power from the engine or brakes, it is
handling under emergancy conditions. I for one do not want to be
anywhere near (in front of, beside, or behind) someone doing the legal
speed limit in traffic with that rig, finds the car ahead jams on the
brakes, needs to take evasive action, hops to the next lane.

Short wheel base and high center of gravity are the culprits. Add in
some soft springs suitable for off road and you have a deadly
combination at highway speeds. The OP on yahoo says he kept it down to
50 to 55 mph. This will cause a traffic jam on any interstate I've driven.

I might add that the usual guide is a minimum of 10% of the gross
trailer weight as tongue weight. This is the minimum to keep the trailer
from fish tailing under most conditions. In this case, that is a 350
pound load MINIMUM on the hitch.

Old December 7th 04, 06:14 PM

I don't know what differentials they're throwing in the Unlimited, but
I can tell you NEVER try to pull anything over the rated weight in a
Sport!! Whatever you do, adhere religiously to what they tell you in
the manual or they won't replace the parts. I'm writing from sad new
differential experience If the parts are at all alike, I wouldn't go
crazy with the Unlimited either.

Matt

Old December 7th 04, 07:16 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Ditto.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

96 Caravan - towing package? EdO Dodge 1 October 25th 04 04:43 AM
Loss of Power Whilst Towing Caravan Stuart Thomson Audi 6 June 1st 04 09:46 PM
2005 Grand Caravan for towing? Doug Dodge 2 May 17th 04 03:39 AM
Top Five roof rack for Jeep Wrangler Scott 4x4 0 March 28th 04 04:42 PM