1inch body lift "self-built pucks"

Old December 8th 04, 05:54 PM
wkearney99

> My fiberglass body mount kit came with rubber pucks that were cut from
> the tread of a tire with a holesaw. They have held up pretty well almost
> twenty years, they still look they same.

Sure, not all rubber's made the same. The stuff in tires is undoubtedly
designed toward being exposed to the harsh elements of an automobile.
Certainly more than a hockey puck.

> I made my own body lift by capping a two inch length of 2 inch pipe and
> welded them to the mounts on the frame even tested them in a head-on. I

was
> parked and the other guy hit me at some where around thirty mph. No damage
> or bends to the mounts.

There's always plenty of "my hack job never caused me any trouble" stories.
Unfornutately there's also plenty of "my insurance was voided because of
some stupid hack" stories. It's also not a matter of whether the hack
survived but whether the hack transferred damage to other places instead of
absorbing it. Better to have a cheap rubber bushing fail than to have a
welded up hack force damage onto other parts of the vehicle. It's probably
not an issue for the job you've done but it's advice worth considering when
thinking about cobbling up something on a vehicle that might put you or
others at risk of not only monetary but loss of life as well.

-Bill Kearney

Old December 9th 04, 12:51 AM
Nathan Otis

I did exactly what you are talking about except I used UHMWPE. I made the
pucks 1.25 thick and the diameter was 2.25 for all 11 pucks... it's been on
my Jeep for over a year and it's working flawlessly. The 1" alum block
you're thinking of is made my JKS (and others possibly). The block itself is
easy as pie to make, but what you pay for imo is the fasteners... JKS sends
you a pin that goes through the block and is threaded on the inside...
n.

oups.com...