Cause of Beetle overheating?

Old July 31st 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Mike Wolf

Default Cause of Beetle overheating?

The temp light came on in my 2001 Beetle 1.8T after only driving for
about 10 minutes. I had the air on and it stopped blowing cold when this
happened. When I stopped to check it, the overflow bulb didn't appear to
be boiling or venting. After my car sat for about 2 hours, the air was
working fine but then the temp light came on again and lost the air
again. When I got home I noticed the colent level was a little low so I
added some thinking this was the whole problem. But then the temp light
came on again after only 5 minutes of driving. When I got home, the
overflow bulb WAS boiling over with coolent dripping out from under car.
What could be causing this? A broken belt?

Old July 31st 06, 12:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Joseph Meehan[_1_]

Mike Wolf wrote:
> The temp light came on in my 2001 Beetle 1.8T after only driving for
> about 10 minutes. I had the air on and it stopped blowing cold when
> this happened. When I stopped to check it, the overflow bulb didn't
> appear to be boiling or venting. After my car sat for about 2 hours,
> the air was working fine but then the temp light came on again and
> lost the air again. When I got home I noticed the colent level was a
> little low so I added some thinking this was the whole problem. But
> then the temp light came on again after only 5 minutes of driving.
> When I got home, the overflow bulb WAS boiling over with coolent
> dripping out from under car. What could be causing this? A broken
> belt?

I suspect the A/C may be cutting out because the car is sensing
overheating.

You say you noticed the coolant level was low. How did you determine
this. Were you looking at the overflow tank. The real potential problem is
if it is low in the radiator. That you can't see easily. You car should
have two electric fans on the radiator. One turns on when the temperatures
of the water in the radiator gets above a set temperature and the other
turns on anytime you have the A/C on. Do you know if one of those fans are
running when the car is hot and the A/C off? Does a fan come on when you
turn on the A/C?

I am sorry but there is a whole list of possible problems. Here are a
few off the top of my head:

Head gasket failure
Cooling fan failure
A/C fan failure
Thermostat failure
Clogged radiator
Defective radiator hose(s)
Low coolant.
Engine or other mechanical problems causing the engine to work too hard.
Blocked air flow to the radiator

Most of these don't take long to check, but the problem is there are so
many of them. Any good mechanic can eliminate most of them in just a couple
of minutes. I suggest you take it to a local INDEPENDENT mechanic. It is
not easy to provide the kind of help you likely will need on-line. You also
could try buying a repair manual for your car and it should have some
testing procedures listed for the easier stuff.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old July 31st 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Mike Wolf

[...]

I noticed that the fan that sometimes keeps running after the car is
shut off when it is hot, was not running when my car was shut off even
though it was overheating. Until lastnight's overflow of my coolant, I
have never noticed any leaking. There has not been any drips in my
garage. I'll be bringing it in to either the dealer or a mechanic today,
just wanted a heads up as to possible causes.

Old July 31st 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Joseph Meehan[_1_]

Mike Wolf wrote:
> <<<<I suspect the A/C may be cutting out because the car is sensing
> overheating.
> You say you noticed the coolant level was low.
> How did you determine this. Were you looking at the overflow tank. The
> real potential problem is if it is low in the radiator. That you can't
> see easily. You car should have two electric fans on the radiator. One
> turns on when the temperatures of the water in the radiator gets
> above a set temperature and the other turns on anytime you have the
> A/C on. Do you know if one of those fans are running when the car is
> hot and the A/C off? Does a fan come on when you turn on the A/C?
> I am sorry but there is a whole list of possible
> problems. Here are a few off the top of my head:
> Head gasket failure
> Cooling fan failure
> A/C fan failure
> Thermostat failure
> Clogged radiator
> Defective radiator hose(s)
> Low coolant.
> Engine or other mechanical problems causing the
> engine to work too hard. Blocked air flow to the radiator
> Most of these don't take long to check, but the
> problem is there are so many of them. Any good mechanic can eliminate
> most of them in just a couple of minutes. I suggest you take it to a
> local INDEPENDENT mechanic. It is not easy to provide the kind of help
> you likely will need on-line. You also could try buying a repair
> manual for your car and it should have some testing procedures listed
> for the easier stuff.

That does sound like the temperature sensor that turns on the fan is
malfunctioning.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old August 1st 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

if the fuses are ok on top of the battery, especially the green 30amp ones,
then replace the waterpump.

Old August 1st 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
none2u

I dont think the fluid was low. he overfilled it and the excesss ran out
under the car when it got hot. As someone else posted. it can be a lot of
things. I,d be looking at the AC fan . If it doesnt overheat without the AC
on. I'd leave it off. I,d put it in the shop and tell them it overheats with
the AC on.