I installed a home AC unit in my pickup truck

Old June 7th 07, 10:40 AM posted to rec.autos.misc
exit

Default I installed a home AC unit in my pickup truck

I installed a home AC unit in my pickup truck now the rear window is
out and a camper shell
Is covering the bed and the small home AC unit was nearly a perfect
fit in the rear window opening
And I placed it right behind the driver's side and made some mounting
brackets to secure the unit
The AC exhausts into the camper shell and I opened the side windows of
the camper shell for the exhaust to escape.
I bought a Daewoo 500 BTU unit at Costco for 100.00 and it draws 480
amps with its rotary compressor
It has a 10.7 energy efficient rating.
By having the AC unit right behind me I have the cold air blowing
right on me just like the car AC does
By blowing cold air from the dash.
And I bought a voltage inverter from eBay and the remount control that
came with the unit is perfect
We have not had any extra hot days yet but it does keep me cool and
for under 200.00 I'm very happy

Old June 8th 07, 07:15 AM posted to rec.autos.misc
Porgy Tirebiter

"exit" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I installed a home AC unit in my pickup truck now the rear window is
> out and a camper shell
> Is covering the bed and the small home AC unit was nearly a perfect
> fit in the rear window opening
> And I placed it right behind the driver's side and made some mounting
> brackets to secure the unit
> The AC exhausts into the camper shell and I opened the side windows of
> the camper shell for the exhaust to escape.
> I bought a Daewoo 500 BTU unit at Costco for 100.00 and it draws 480
> amps with its rotary compressor
> It has a 10.7 energy efficient rating.
> By having the AC unit right behind me I have the cold air blowing
> right on me just like the car AC does
> By blowing cold air from the dash.
> And I bought a voltage inverter from eBay and the remount control that
> came with the unit is perfect
> We have not had any extra hot days yet but it does keep me cool and
> for under 200.00 I'm very happy

IDIOT.....

Old June 9th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.autos.misc
Porgy Tirebiter

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 09:40:26 -0000, exit > wrote:
>
>>I installed a home AC unit in my pickup truck now the rear window is
>>out and a camper shell
>>Is covering the bed and the small home AC unit was nearly a perfect
>>fit in the rear window opening
>>And I placed it right behind the driver's side and made some mounting
>>brackets to secure the unit
>>The AC exhausts into the camper shell and I opened the side windows of
>>the camper shell for the exhaust to escape.
>>I bought a Daewoo 500 BTU unit at Costco for 100.00 and it draws 480
>>amps with its rotary compressor
>>It has a 10.7 energy efficient rating.
>>By having the AC unit right behind me I have the cold air blowing
>>right on me just like the car AC does
>>By blowing cold air from the dash.
>>And I bought a voltage inverter from eBay and the remount control that
>>came with the unit is perfect
>>We have not had any extra hot days yet but it does keep me cool and
>>for under 200.00 I'm very happy

> Post some photos.

This should be good

Old June 30th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.autos.misc

On Jun 7, 5:40 am, exit > wrote:
> I installed a home AC unit in my pickup truck now the rear window is
> out and a camper shell
> Is covering the bed and the small home AC unit was nearly a perfect
> fit in the rear window opening
> And I placed it right behind the driver's side and made some mounting
> brackets to secure the unit
> The AC exhausts into the camper shell and I opened the side windows of
> the camper shell for the exhaust to escape.
> I bought a Daewoo 500 BTU unit at Costco for 100.00 and it draws 480
> amps with its rotary compressor
> It has a 10.7 energy efficient rating.
> By having the AC unit right behind me I have the cold air blowing
> right on me just like the car AC does
> By blowing cold air from the dash.
> And I bought a voltage inverter from eBay and the remount control that
> came with the unit is perfect
> We have not had any extra hot days yet but it does keep me cool and
> for under 200.00 I'm very happy

How's this working for you today? I'm considering the same thing as I'
just picked up a $500 diesel cae for a veggy oil test bed and I don't
want to sink a couple thousand in the broken AC system. My concern on
this setup though is burning out the brushes in the car alternator.
What size inverter are you using? 1000 Watt?
Thanks, Ken

Old June 30th 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.autos.misc
Porgy Tirebiter

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jun 7, 5:40 am, exit > wrote:
>> I installed a home AC unit in my pickup truck now the rear window is
>> out and a camper shell
>> Is covering the bed and the small home AC unit was nearly a perfect
>> fit in the rear window opening
>> And I placed it right behind the driver's side and made some mounting
>> brackets to secure the unit
>> The AC exhausts into the camper shell and I opened the side windows of
>> the camper shell for the exhaust to escape.
>> I bought a Daewoo 500 BTU unit at Costco for 100.00 and it draws 480
>> amps with its rotary compressor
>> It has a 10.7 energy efficient rating.
>> By having the AC unit right behind me I have the cold air blowing
>> right on me just like the car AC does
>> By blowing cold air from the dash.
>> And I bought a voltage inverter from eBay and the remount control that
>> came with the unit is perfect
>> We have not had any extra hot days yet but it does keep me cool and
>> for under 200.00 I'm very happy

> How's this working for you today? I'm considering the same thing as I'
> just picked up a $500 diesel cae for a veggy oil test bed and I don't
> want to sink a couple thousand in the broken AC system. My concern on
> this setup though is burning out the brushes in the car alternator.
> What size inverter are you using? 1000 Watt?
> Thanks, Ken

Why would it burn out the brushes in the Alternator? Am I missing something
here?

Old July 17th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.autos.misc
exit

On Jun 30, 11:31 am, wrote:
> On Jun 7, 5:40 am, exit > wrote:
>

> > I installed a home AC unit in my pickup truck now the rear window is
> > out and a camper shell
> > Is covering the bed and the small home AC unit was nearly a perfect
> > fit in the rear window opening
> > And I placed it right behind the driver's side and made some mounting
> > brackets to secure the unit
> > The AC exhausts into the camper shell and I opened the side windows of
> > the camper shell for the exhaust to escape.
> > I bought a Daewoo 500 BTU unit at Costco for 100.00 and it draws 480
> > amps with its rotary compressor
> > It has a 10.7 energy efficient rating.
> > By having the AC unit right behind me I have the cold air blowing
> > right on me just like the car AC does
> > By blowing cold air from the dash.
> > And I bought a voltage inverter from eBay and the remount control that
> > came with the unit is perfect
> > We have not had any extra hot days yet but it does keep me cool and
> > for under 200.00 I'm very happy

> How's this working for you today? I'm considering the same thing as I'
> just picked up a $500 diesel cae for a veggy oil test bed and I don't
> want to sink a couple thousand in the broken AC system. My concern on
> this setup though is burning out the brushes in the car alternator.
> What size inverter are you using? 1000 Watt?
> Thanks, Ken- Hide quoted text -

Works fine you need to have an inverter with enough watts to start the
compressor
Daewoo claims the AC pulls 480 watts but it takes around 1100 to start
the unit and this model AC has a rotary compressor easier to start.
I have a 2000 watt inverter a 1500 inverter I think would do it.
The way I have the unit in the back window opening it blows over my
head and it would be a lot better if it blew in my face like a in dash
unit does.
I need to keep the RPMs up at a stop light to keep enough amps flowing
to my battery or the compressor will kick off.
This was rather easy to set up in the back window opening of the truck
and having a camper shell hides
The unit. I don't know how you would mount this in a car but it works
fine in the back window opening of a pickup with a shell and not only
that people must think they're seeing things
It's a lot better than not having an AC on the hot days I will post a
picture soon

Old July 18th 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.misc
exit

Old July 18th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.misc
exit

On Jun 7, 11:15 pm, "Porgy Tirebiter" > wrote:
> "exit" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> >I installed a home AC unit in my pickup truck now the rear window is
> > out and a camper shell
> > Is covering the bed and the small home AC unit was nearly a perfect
> > fit in the rear window opening
> > And I placed it right behind the driver's side and made some mounting
> > brackets to secure the unit
> > The AC exhausts into the camper shell and I opened the side windows of
> > the camper shell for the exhaust to escape.
> > I bought a Daewoo 500 BTU unit at Costco for 100.00 and it draws 480
> > amps with its rotary compressor
> > It has a 10.7 energy efficient rating.
> > By having the AC unit right behind me I have the cold air blowing
> > right on me just like the car AC does
> > By blowing cold air from the dash.
> > And I bought a voltage inverter from eBay and the remount control that
> > came with the unit is perfect
> > We have not had any extra hot days yet but it does keep me cool and
> > for under 200.00 I'm very happy

> IDIOT.....

Why???

Old July 18th 07, 11:04 AM posted to rec.autos.misc
exit

Old October 12th 13, 03:49 PM posted to rec.autos.misc

Hate to point out the obvious here, but if you have any kind of head on collision, that AC unit is coming forward with enough force to kill anyone in the cab it comes into contact with. Depending on the angle of the impact it could take out the driver or a passenger. What can happen will happen eventually. I'd rethink this one...