Junk/salvage question

Old July 20th 17, 04:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
micky

Default Junk/salvage question

In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 14:11:01 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 19, 2017 at 9:11:21 AM UTC-10, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> > wrote:

>> >In general, there's no such thing as an "unrepairable" car.

>> I dare you to tell that to my wife.
>> --scott
>>
>> --
>> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

>My wife totaled two cars. She hit a car and that car hit another car in front of it. She said the car she hit looked like an accordion.

I don't like accordians either. No wonder she hit it.

> The force was so great that the bulb located in the bumper of our car had the filament bent back 90 degrees. I replaced the bumper and the struts for about $125. The car ran fine. We finally sold the car but I would have sightings of our car around town for over a decade afterwards. I used to get 27 MPG out of it but I've never gotten more than 20 MPG from my other cars. That must have been the most wonderful car ever.

So sad. I had a car that leaked everywhere, engine, xmission, PS,
radiator, but it ran great. I only added oil when, while going around
a corner quickly, the light went on. Still ran great.
Old July 20th 17, 04:36 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

(Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>>Michael > wrote:
>>>The used car dealer tells me that the 4 junk/salvage notes in the car's records are because it went through an insurance auction.

>>It's likely the other way around, that it went through an insurance auction
>>because it was declared unrepairable.

> In general, there's no such thing as an "unrepairable" car.>

Grandson bought a salvage Camaro. Lovely thing, and scared the **** out
of me when he took me for a ride. He put a lot of race mods on it and
was heartbroken when it broke in half. The frame. Broke in half.

>>>Could this be the case, or should I run from this deal as fast as possible?

>>How much is it, and is it an interesting car? I bought a car with a salvage
>>title for $50, put in a week or so of work and 300,000 miles later I was still
>>driving it.

If it's dirt cheap, you like to fix stuff, and you can regard it as a
throwaway, go for it.

> That sounds like BS, a salvage yard alone would pay more for a car
> that was able to be repaired in a week and lasted 300k miles,
> particularly if it had an operational drive train.

My '88 Caddy was worth $250 to the wrecking yards I called. It had
under 90K miles and used NO oil between annual changes, had new tires
and brakes and was perfectly driveable if you ignored the need for
shocks, AC, and some serious throttle repair/replacement that made
driving a real thrill. I didn't tell them about the problems, of course.
I suspect that people in the know know that Cadillacs are real POS.

>>I eventually got rid of it because I could no longer get the
>>most common parts anymore.

Try to get the stuff that keeps the rain out of the windows for a 1970
Dodge pickup!

>>Just because it was declared junk doesn't mean it's not repairable, but it
>>does make me want to very, very carefully inspect the repair job.

Difference between "junk" and "salvage".

> You said you did the repair. If it had been repaired before you
> acquired it, it wouldn't have been salvage.

You can buy running "salvage" vehicles that have been repaired. I think
it just means they were in an accident and totaled out, but I'm not at
all sure.

> Ignoring the contradictions, when the misnomer unrepairable is used,
> it only means the commercial cost of repair exceeds the item's book
> value.

Which happens amazingly fast. My mom had been paying collision on the
'88 Caddy up through 2007, when the premium was more than the totaled
value. When I drove it the liability-only premium was more than the
totaled value!

--
Cheers,Bev
To define recursion, we must first define recursion.
Old July 20th 17, 06:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

Evidently you're not alone. She goes bat-**** crazy if she sees those things. This is why we have to live on a rock in the middle of nowhere. This keeps chance encounters to a minimum. I hate lutes myself. Hawaii is a paradise for folks that can't stand accordions and lutes.

> > The force was so great that the bulb located in the bumper of our car had the filament bent back 90 degrees. I replaced the bumper and the struts for about $125. The car ran fine. We finally sold the car but I would have sightings of our car around town for over a decade afterwards. I used to get 27 MPG out of it but I've never gotten more than 20 MPG from my other cars. That must have been the most wonderful car ever.

> So sad. I had a car that leaked everywhere, engine, xmission, PS,
> radiator, but it ran great. I only added oil when, while going around
> a corner quickly, the light went on. Still ran great.

It certainly beats walking.
Old July 20th 17, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

(Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>>> Grandson bought a salvage Camaro. Lovely thing, and scared the **** out
>>> of me when he took me for a ride. He put a lot of race mods on it and
>>> was heartbroken when it broke in half. The frame. Broke in half.

>> Was the frame spliced in the middle?
>>
>> I have seen a couple cars where they cut the front off one and the back
>> off the other and spliced them together, and if it's done well it can be
>> safe but if it's done poorly it breaks in half on the road.
>> -scott

> Like anything else, it must first be competently done,
> if not, disaster may well ensue.

Indeed. I don't think he would have known.

--
Cheers, Bev
A spokesperson for 60s band 'the animals' has today made a

Old July 20th 17, 07:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
bob

On 7/19/2017 4:11 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 19, 2017 at 9:11:21 AM UTC-10, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> > wrote:

>>> In general, there's no such thing as an "unrepairable" car.

>> I dare you to tell that to my wife.
>> --scott
>>
>> --
>> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

> My wife totaled two cars. She hit a car and that car hit another car in front of it. She said the car she hit looked like an accordion. The force was so great that the bulb located in the bumper of our car had the filament bent back 90 degrees. I replaced the bumper and the struts for about $125. The car ran fine. We finally sold the car but I would have sightings of our car around town for over a decade afterwards. I used to get 27 MPG out of it but I've never gotten more than 20 MPG from my other cars. That must have been the most wonderful car ever.

If were playing Wife poker, my wife totaled three,wounded 2
90 Taurus wagon ran light
92 green Taurus got tbone
2014 rental VW accidentally let a truck hit her

1993 wagon got hit and run front strut damage
would drive but junked shortly after

2005 grand prix mysterious front end damage
looked like she rear ended someone
she said parking lot damage...

bob

---

Old July 20th 17, 07:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 22:48:00 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>> >My wife totaled two cars. She hit a car and that car hit another car in =

>front of it. She said the car she hit looked like an accordion.
>>=20
>> I don't like accordians either. No wonder she hit it.=20

>Evidently you're not alone. She goes bat-**** crazy if she sees those thing=
>s. This is why we have to live on a rock in the middle of nowhere. This kee=
>ps chance encounters to a minimum. I hate lutes myself. Hawaii is a paradis=
>e for folks that can't stand accordions and lutes. =20

But doesn't it have ukes? Which is worse, lutes or ukes?
Old July 20th 17, 07:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Thursday, July 20, 2017 at 8:25:18 AM UTC-10, bob wrote:

> >> I dare you to tell that to my wife.
> >> --scott
> >>
> >> --
> >> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

> > My wife totaled two cars. She hit a car and that car hit another car in front of it. She said the car she hit looked like an accordion. The force was so great that the bulb located in the bumper of our car had the filament bent back 90 degrees. I replaced the bumper and the struts for about $125.. The car ran fine. We finally sold the car but I would have sightings of our car around town for over a decade afterwards. I used to get 27 MPG out of it but I've never gotten more than 20 MPG from my other cars. That must have been the most wonderful car ever.
> >

> If were playing Wife poker, my wife totaled three,wounded 2
> 90 Taurus wagon ran light
> 92 green Taurus got tbone
> 2014 rental VW accidentally let a truck hit her
>
> 1993 wagon got hit and run front strut damage
> would drive but junked shortly after
>

> 2005 grand prix mysterious front end damage
> looked like she rear ended someone
> she said parking lot damage...
>
> bob
>

> ---

If we were playing poker, I'd say you had an awesome hand!
Old July 20th 17, 07:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Thursday, July 20, 2017 at 8:28:54 AM UTC-10, micky wrote:

> >front of it. She said the car she hit looked like an accordion.
> >>=20
> >> I don't like accordians either. No wonder she hit it.=20

> >Evidently you're not alone. She goes bat-**** crazy if she sees those thing=
> >s. This is why we have to live on a rock in the middle of nowhere. This kee=
> >ps chance encounters to a minimum. I hate lutes myself. Hawaii is a paradis=
> >e for folks that can't stand accordions and lutes. =20

> But doesn't it have ukes? Which is worse, lutes or ukes?

I'm just kidding. I like lutes and I plan on getting myself a uke. As far as accordions goes, I knew a guy that left his accordion in a car and forgot to lock it the doors. When he came back to his car he found there were two accordions.

We Buy Junk Cars JR[_8_] Technology 10 June 29th 13 10:40 PM
how come new VW's appear to be junk? fox93 VW water cooled 17 December 1st 12 11:48 PM
how come new VW's appear to be junk? PL[_2_] VW water cooled 0 September 6th 12 11:20 AM
Bad junk in gas lately. Mike Romain Technology 2 January 18th 09 09:50 PM
1995 Honda Passport -- Salvage Title Question ajpdla Honda 5 December 22nd 04 05:16 AM