2nd copy of car keys and fob?

Old July 23rd 17, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

Default 2nd copy of car keys and fob?

How many of you carry a 2nd copy of your car keys and fob, when you're
in town?

When you go out of town?

Before I had a fob, I carried a second car key for 10 or 20 years, but I
stopped a while ago. I have a spare housekey and carkey buried in my
yard somewhere, but I've never trusted magnetic keyholders for cars. I
thought either it would fall off or someone would find it, since there
are so few good places to put it. So I carried the dupe in my pocket.
Old July 23rd 17, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 20:48:59 -0400, micky >
wrote:

>How many of you carry a 2nd copy of your car keys and fob, when you're
>in town?
>
>When you go out of town?
>

>Before I had a fob, I carried a second car key for 10 or 20 years, but I
>stopped a while ago. I have a spare housekey and carkey buried in my
>yard somewhere, but I've never trusted magnetic keyholders for cars. I
>thought either it would fall off or someone would find it, since there
>are so few good places to put it. So I carried the dupe in my pocket.

Never carry a dupe. If travelling with my wife, she has a second key.
Trusted neighboer has key to the house to get spare key if required.

Don't need a fob - but the car has keyless entry so IF we lock the
keys in, the code opens the door.
The truck is a different story. No electric locks.
The only time I've locked the keys in the truck other than on my
driveway at home (second key redilly available) I luckily left the cab
back widow unlatched and was able to get in by unbolting the cap from
the box and reaching in through that back window. Luckily I had tools
in the back of the truck. Midnight, miles from nowhere - sell phone as
a flashlight
Old July 23rd 17, 04:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 22 Jul 2017 23:03:13 -0400, Ralph Mowery
> wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 20:48:59 -0400, micky >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >How many of you carry a 2nd copy of your car keys and fob, when you're
>> >in town?
>> >
>> >When you go out of town?

>> Don't need a fob - but the car has keyless entry so IF we lock the
>> keys in, the code opens the door.
>> The truck is a different story. No electric locks.
>> The only time I've locked the keys in the truck other than on my
>> driveway at home (second key redilly available) I luckily left the cab
>> back widow unlatched and was able to get in by unbolting the cap from
>> the box and reaching in through that back window. Luckily I had tools
>> in the back of the truck. Midnight, miles from nowhere - sell phone as
>> a flashlight

>I think it is impossiable to lock the keys in the car I have. To lock
>it (you have to have the FOB near the car) just touch a spot on the door
>handle. To open, just grab the handle. Trunk the same way to unlock
>it,just press a button o the trunk. The fob has a key in it,but it is
>sort of an electronic key so difficult to duplicate even if I wanted to.

Well, I've got a 2004 Chrysler car and even for my previous 2000, it was
expensive to make dupes. The price has gone down a lot and finding them
has gotten much easier.. It was $16 for 2 keys, and $6 apiece to cut
them. I asked about programming then and he said "It's expensive. $30
apiece" but with the directions it was free.

The fobs were $11 a piece, also free to program.

Only took me about 3 tries with each. If they want to test old codgers
for mental ability (before selling them long term care insurance) making
them program their key or their fob would be a great test.

The time to do this was now, because you have to have 2 keys and one
good fob to make these copies yourself and that's exactly what the car
came with**. If I lost anything, I'd have to use the locksmith. **Plus
one key w/o a chip.

I haven't lost my keys much, but anything is too much if I'm not
prepared. Once when I was changing clothes to go tubing, I left them in
my pants and locked them in the trunk. At the end of the day, I had to
get a ride home and back, 30 or 40 miles total.

Another time when I was 100 miles from home, I dropped a set in my trunk
and couldn't find them. I had spare car keys but had to call a friend
to leave my house key at my house (because I'd failed to replace the one
that is supposed to be buried) I don't get it but I never did find the
set I dropped in the trunk!

Old July 23rd 17, 05:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

micky wrote:
> How many of you carry a 2nd copy of your car keys and fob, when you're
> in town?
>
> When you go out of town?
>
> Before I had a fob, I carried a second car key for 10 or 20 years, but I
> stopped a while ago. I have a spare housekey and carkey buried in my
> yard somewhere, but I've never trusted magnetic keyholders for cars. I
> thought either it would fall off or someone would find it, since there
> are so few good places to put it. So I carried the dupe in my pocket.

My car has a keyed door lock and no ignition rfid or resistor so I had a
key made for $1 and wired it up under the car. Yah, I have gotten dirty
crawling under the car to find and unwire the key but it is in a safe place.

Old July 24th 17, 12:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 23 Jul 2017 11:33:30 -0400, Frank <"frank
> wrote:

>On 7/22/2017 10:09 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
>> On Saturday, July 22, 2017 at 8:49:10 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
>>> How many of you carry a 2nd copy of your car keys and fob, when you're
>>> in town?
>>>
>>> When you go out of town?
>>>

>>> Before I had a fob, I carried a second car key for 10 or 20 years, but I
>>> stopped a while ago. I have a spare housekey and carkey buried in my
>>> yard somewhere, but I've never trusted magnetic keyholders for cars. I
>>> thought either it would fall off or someone would find it, since there
>>> are so few good places to put it. So I carried the dupe in my pocket.

>> Hide a spare key in the vehicle. Have a third key made without the
>> transponder. It can still be done for many vehicles, but you might
>> have to ask around. Make the hole in the key a little bigger, remove a
>> license plate and hang the key from the screw before you reattach the
>> plate. On which side of the plate you place the key should be fairly
>> obvious.
>>
>> Now, if you lose your keys, or lock them inside, all you need is a
>> screwdriver or anything that can be used as a screwdriver. Since the
>> third key has no transponder, it can't be used to start the car, just
>> to open it. Now retrieve your spare key and you are good to go.
>>

>Someone suggested you hide the spare key with the transponder in the
>driving compartment and can get keys made without the transponder that
>will then work.
>
>When I bought a new Subaru last year, I told the sales lady that I
>always carry a spare key in my wallet. The Subaru spare key is called
>something like a chauffeurs key as it will not open glove compartment
>and is not a remote. The key fob was bulbous and I told her I might cut
>it off but she told me it would not work because of the built in device.

Better than ruining a duplicate key just to make it thinner, you should
make a copy of it on a non-chip-key blank They are flat, not bulbous
and cost no more than a duplicate house key and can be made almost
anywhere.

Then you make a good point that you could enter the car, turn the
ignition to Run, use the button to unlock the trunk (on those cars that
have that, as mine does) and get a real chip key out of the trunk,
where you have hidden it. Perhaps if car theft is a verrrry serious risk
in an 8 oz can of waterless handcleaner

Not only could you do that but I could do that. It seems like a good
idea.

You can also make copies of most keys out of plastic, or that are part
of a credit-card size piece of plastic, so they fit in a wallet better.

The only time you should ruin a chip key is if you wish to hide it above
the ignition key slot so that a remote starter will start the car. But
you can just as easily place a complete key there. Then fwiw no one
will need a chip key. My owners manual, 2004 Sebring, says that I
can't use a remote starter, but I suspect they are wrong.
Old July 24th 17, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 22 Jul 2017 23:09:37 -0500, Paul in Houston
TX > wrote:

>micky wrote:
>> How many of you carry a 2nd copy of your car keys and fob, when you're
>> in town?
>>
>> When you go out of town?
>>
>> Before I had a fob, I carried a second car key for 10 or 20 years, but I
>> stopped a while ago. I have a spare housekey and carkey buried in my
>> yard somewhere, but I've never trusted magnetic keyholders for cars. I
>> thought either it would fall off or someone would find it, since there
>> are so few good places to put it. So I carried the dupe in my pocket.

>My car has a keyed door lock and no ignition rfid or resistor so I had a
>key made for $1 and wired it up under the car.

That's a good idea too.

> Yah, I have gotten dirty

I'm already dirty.

Old July 24th 17, 12:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 23 Jul 2017 19:18:31 -0400, micky
> wrote:

>The only time you should ruin a chip key is if you wish to hide it above
>the ignition key slot so that a remote starter will start the car. But

By this, I don't mean to chop off the bulbous parts of the key. I mean
to cut the key in half where the metal part meets the plastic part.
Then you can conceal the plastic, chip-key part near the ignition switch
so remote starters will work. But then the metal part won't be long
enough even to open the door, so don't damage the key at all.

Old July 24th 17, 04:32 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ralph Mowery

In article >, NONONOmisc07
@bigfoot.com says...

> In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 23 Jul 2017 11:33:30 -0400, Frank <"frank
> > wrote:

> >> Hide a spare key in the vehicle. Have a third key made without the
> >> transponder. It can still be done for many vehicles, but you might
> >> have to ask around. Make the hole in the key a little bigger, remove a
> >> license plate and hang the key from the screw before you reattach the
> >> plate. On which side of the plate you place the key should be fairly
> >> obvious.
> >>
> >> Now, if you lose your keys, or lock them inside, all you need is a
> >> screwdriver or anything that can be used as a screwdriver. Since the
> >> third key has no transponder, it can't be used to start the car, just
> >> to open it. Now retrieve your spare key and you are good to go.
> >>

> >Someone suggested you hide the spare key with the transponder in the
> >driving compartment and can get keys made without the transponder that
> >will then work.
> >
> >When I bought a new Subaru last year, I told the sales lady that I
> >always carry a spare key in my wallet. The Subaru spare key is called
> >something like a chauffeurs key as it will not open glove compartment
> >and is not a remote. The key fob was bulbous and I told her I might cut
> >it off but she told me it would not work because of the built in device.

> Better than ruining a duplicate key just to make it thinner, you should
> make a copy of it on a non-chip-key blank They are flat, not bulbous
> and cost no more than a duplicate house key and can be made almost
> anywhere.
>

> You can also make copies of most keys out of plastic, or that are part
> of a credit-card size piece of plastic, so they fit in a wallet better.
>
> The only time you should ruin a chip key is if you wish to hide it above
> the ignition key slot so that a remote starter will start the car. But
> you can just as easily place a complete key there. Then fwiw no one
> will need a chip key. My owners manual, 2004 Sebring, says that I
> can't use a remote starter, but I suspect they are wrong.

Really burns me up that the duplicate keya are so expensive. With all
the inexpensive electronic gear out that is much more complicated
someone is making a killing on the duplicate car keys.

I just bought a new 2017 Toyota (would have gotten the 18, but they are
butt ugly). It has the keyless start where you just push a button, and
even the doors will lock and unlock with just a touch of your hand if
you have the FOB with you.

The key fits inside the fob. It is a flat piece of metal and there are
some notchies on the side. I have not had time to check it out,but
think that key has some kind of electronics in it also. That way you
can use the key if the battery in the fob goes bad. The book says the
fob battery will only last about 2 years. I guess it is sending out a
signal all the time. The push button to unlock the doors on the other
car and truck fobs are 10 years old and still work.

Old July 24th 17, 04:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Saturday, July 22, 2017 at 2:49:08 PM UTC-10, micky wrote:
> How many of you carry a 2nd copy of your car keys and fob, when you're
> in town?
>
> When you go out of town?
>

> Before I had a fob, I carried a second car key for 10 or 20 years, but I
> stopped a while ago. I have a spare housekey and carkey buried in my
> yard somewhere, but I've never trusted magnetic keyholders for cars. I
> thought either it would fall off or someone would find it, since there
> are so few good places to put it. So I carried the dupe in my pocket.

I use a magnetic key holder for the door. Mostly, I hide it so good that people can't find it. There's not much point in sticking a key fob in there.

Where to get T Top Keys?? 84_mustang_5.0 Ford Mustang 0 April 27th 07 08:37 AM
keys Wagoneer Loyalist Jeep 18 April 14th 07 11:34 PM
Does anyone here actually prefer remote keys versus the old-fashioned keys? Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_] Driving 67 November 3rd 06 04:06 PM
Keys Pete Audi 13 August 9th 05 11:05 AM
gtr hot keys Brendan Hoefs Simulators 0 July 24th 05 01:26 AM