Oil change on 2008 Grand Caravan question

Old April 20th 08, 01:33 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
QX

Default Oil change on 2008 Grand Caravan question

It's been a long time since I've changed the oil on my own car, but
this one looks like it's made for DIY.

This is an 08 Grand Caravan SXT with the 4.0 liter engine.

The oil filter is right behind the passenger wheel, and can be easily
accessed from the space in front of the tire. The filter looks like
it's going to be a snap to grasp with a filter wrench..

The owners manual says it's a 6,000 mile interval to maintain the
warranty, but I'd like to do my own at 3,000 miles due to the hot,
dry, dusty conditions here (summer temps to 115°F).

My question: Is the large nut/washer right next to the oil filter the
crankcase drain plug? It looks like it is, but I want to be sure. It
looks like a large nut with a washer as an integral part of it.

Is there a gasket that I need to get from the dealer before I start?

I didn't see any photos in the owners manual as to the drain plug
location.
..
Can any experts confirm the location of the crankcase drain plug?
Thanks in advance.

Old April 20th 08, 02:15 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
daytripper

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 17:33:24 -0700, QX > wrote:

>It's been a long time since I've changed the oil on my own car, but
>this one looks like it's made for DIY.
>
>This is an 08 Grand Caravan SXT with the 4.0 liter engine.
>
>The oil filter is right behind the passenger wheel, and can be easily
>accessed from the space in front of the tire. The filter looks like
>it's going to be a snap to grasp with a filter wrench..
>
>The owners manual says it's a 6,000 mile interval to maintain the
>warranty, but I'd like to do my own at 3,000 miles due to the hot,
>dry, dusty conditions here (summer temps to 115°F).
>
>My question: Is the large nut/washer right next to the oil filter the
>crankcase drain plug? It looks like it is, but I want to be sure. It
>looks like a large nut with a washer as an integral part of it.
>
>Is there a gasket that I need to get from the dealer before I start?
>
>I didn't see any photos in the owners manual as to the drain plug
>location.
>.
>Can any experts confirm the location of the crankcase drain plug?
>Thanks in advance.

It is highly unlikely that an oil drain plug is located anywhere near the oil
filter. The oil drain plug located on the very bottom of the oil pan, while
the filter is usually located somewhere along the side of the engine casting.

As well, drain plugs are usually fairly small, and don't have true "gaskets",
but instead use a malleable copper crush washer, which might not even be
visible without removing the plug...
Old April 20th 08, 11:47 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"QX" > wrote in message
> It's been a long time since I've changed the oil on my own car, but
> this one looks like it's made for DIY.
>
> This is an 08 Grand Caravan SXT with the 4.0 liter engine.
>
> The oil filter is right behind the passenger wheel, and can be easily
> accessed from the space in front of the tire. The filter looks like
> it's going to be a snap to grasp with a filter wrench..
>
> The owners manual says it's a 6,000 mile interval to maintain the
> warranty, but I'd like to do my own at 3,000 miles due to the hot,
> dry, dusty conditions here (summer temps to 115°F).
>
> My question: Is the large nut/washer right next to the oil filter the
> crankcase drain plug? It looks like it is, but I want to be sure. It
> looks like a large nut with a washer as an integral part of it.
>
> Is there a gasket that I need to get from the dealer before I start?
>
> I didn't see any photos in the owners manual as to the drain plug
> location.
> .
> Can any experts confirm the location of the crankcase drain plug?
> Thanks in advance.

The oil drain is on back of the oil pan. It uses a 13mm wrench to remove the
plug. The gasket comes with the oil filter. 5qts of I believe 5w20 oil. (it
says this on the oil cap).

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old April 20th 08, 02:25 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
QX

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 06:47:26 -0400, "maxpower"
> wrote:

>"QX" > wrote in message
.. .
>> It's been a long time since I've changed the oil on my own car, but
>> this one looks like it's made for DIY.
>>
>> This is an 08 Grand Caravan SXT with the 4.0 liter engine.
>>
>> The oil filter is right behind the passenger wheel, and can be easily
>> accessed from the space in front of the tire. The filter looks like
>> it's going to be a snap to grasp with a filter wrench..
>>
>> The owners manual says it's a 6,000 mile interval to maintain the
>> warranty, but I'd like to do my own at 3,000 miles due to the hot,
>> dry, dusty conditions here (summer temps to 115°F).
>>
>> My question: Is the large nut/washer right next to the oil filter the
>> crankcase drain plug? It looks like it is, but I want to be sure. It
>> looks like a large nut with a washer as an integral part of it.
>>
>> Is there a gasket that I need to get from the dealer before I start?
>>
>> I didn't see any photos in the owners manual as to the drain plug
>> location.
>> .
>> Can any experts confirm the location of the crankcase drain plug?
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

>The oil drain is on back of the oil pan. It uses a 13mm wrench to remove the
>plug. The gasket comes with the oil filter. 5qts of I believe 5w20 oil. (it
>says this on the oil cap).
>
>Glenn Beasley
>Chrysler Tech

Thanks, I though that large nut 4" away from the filter was too good
to be true. I'll have to get way underneath to find the drain plug.
The gasket I was curious about, would be on the drain plug itself.
My old VW Variant ('65 pancake engine) had a copper crush gasket that
had to be used on the drain plug at every oil change to prevent leaks.
Is there a similar gasket on the Dodge 4.0 (w/trailer tow package).