1999 Gr Caravan Brake Pedal click

Old May 3rd 08, 09:36 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

Default 1999 Gr Caravan Brake Pedal click

The brake pedal in my wifes Caravan "clicks" and a very slight drop is
felt when braking. The hydraulic system is solid and I replaced pads
and shoes recently. I have owned the car since new and have have
become intimately familiar with the braking system over time having
replaced 3 rotors, both calipers and both wheel cylinders along with
pads 4 times in the cars 75K mile life. Could this actually be the
bushing at the brake pedal pivot? Master cylinder seems unlikely since
the pedal inital feel is good.
Any insight would be appreciated, I rarely drive this car but I need
to take it 3K on vacation this summer and this thing will drive me
crazy not to mention the safety concern.
Thanks in advance,
Kurt
Old May 3rd 08, 10:56 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

> wrote in message
> The brake pedal in my wifes Caravan "clicks" and a very slight drop is
> felt when braking. The hydraulic system is solid and I replaced pads
> and shoes recently. I have owned the car since new and have have
> become intimately familiar with the braking system over time having
> replaced 3 rotors, both calipers and both wheel cylinders along with
> pads 4 times in the cars 75K mile life. Could this actually be the
> bushing at the brake pedal pivot? Master cylinder seems unlikely since
> the pedal inital feel is good.
> Any insight would be appreciated, I rarely drive this car but I need
> to take it 3K on vacation this summer and this thing will drive me
> crazy not to mention the safety concern.
> Thanks in advance,
> Kurt

Are you sure that what you are hearing isn't normal and was there all the
time? There is a very noticeable noise at the brake pedal when it is applied
and this is due to the solenoid used for the brake interlock system.
without hearing the noise it would be hard to tell you what it could be.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old May 5th 08, 05:44 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

On May 3, 4:56*pm, "maxpower" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > The brake pedal in my wifes Caravan "clicks" and a very slight drop is
> > felt when braking. The hydraulic system is solid and I replaced pads
> > and shoes recently. I have owned the car since new and have have
> > become intimately familiar with the braking system over time having
> > replaced 3 rotors, both calipers and both wheel cylinders along with
> > pads 4 times in the cars 75K mile life. Could this actually be the
> > bushing at the brake pedal pivot? Master cylinder seems unlikely since
> > the pedal inital feel is good.
> > Any insight would be appreciated, I rarely drive this car but I need
> > to take it 3K on vacation this summer and this thing will drive me
> > crazy not to mention the safety concern.
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Kurt

> Are you sure that what you are hearing isn't normal and was there all the
> time? There is a very noticeable noise at the brake pedal when it is applied
> and this is due to the *solenoid used for the brake interlock system.
> without hearing the noise it would be hard to tell you what it could be.
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

Thanks for responding Glenn. No this is something that developed in
the last year. In addition to the noise you can feel the pedal drop
although only slightly. The intermintent nature of it adds to the
confusion although it occurs most of the time. I notice that if reach
under the dash and operate the pedal while using my free hand to feel
where the noise and motion is coming from, it feels more noticable at
where the pushrod enters into the booster. Could the booster be going?
I performed the simple tests for a leaking booster and everything
seems fine.

Does anyone know if there is a bushing at the attachment to the
pushrod and pedal?

Old May 6th 08, 10:46 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

> wrote in message
On May 3, 4:56 pm, "maxpower" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > The brake pedal in my wifes Caravan "clicks" and a very slight drop is
> > felt when braking. The hydraulic system is solid and I replaced pads
> > and shoes recently. I have owned the car since new and have have
> > become intimately familiar with the braking system over time having
> > replaced 3 rotors, both calipers and both wheel cylinders along with
> > pads 4 times in the cars 75K mile life. Could this actually be the
> > bushing at the brake pedal pivot? Master cylinder seems unlikely since
> > the pedal inital feel is good.
> > Any insight would be appreciated, I rarely drive this car but I need
> > to take it 3K on vacation this summer and this thing will drive me
> > crazy not to mention the safety concern.
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Kurt

> Are you sure that what you are hearing isn't normal and was there all the
> time? There is a very noticeable noise at the brake pedal when it is

applied
> and this is due to the solenoid used for the brake interlock system.
> without hearing the noise it would be hard to tell you what it could be.
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

Thanks for responding Glenn. No this is something that developed in
the last year. In addition to the noise you can feel the pedal drop
although only slightly. The intermintent nature of it adds to the
confusion although it occurs most of the time. I notice that if reach
under the dash and operate the pedal while using my free hand to feel
where the noise and motion is coming from, it feels more noticable at
where the pushrod enters into the booster. Could the booster be going?
I performed the simple tests for a leaking booster and everything
seems fine.

Does anyone know if there is a bushing at the attachment to the
pushrod and pedal?

Anything is possible. Like I said without hearing the noise it is hard to
say what you have going on. The only bushing I no of would be the bushing
that the brake booster rod fits into.

Glenn