Gas mileage

Old June 7th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
motorhead

Default Gas mileage

Hey Guys,
How much gas mileage does a 4 cyl. Jeep get? My 97 XJ with 30in tires
only gets about 17-18 mpg....thanks....

Old June 7th 08, 06:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

motorhead wrote:
> Hey Guys,
> How much gas mileage does a 4 cyl. Jeep get? My 97 XJ with 30in tires
> only gets about 17-18 mpg....thanks....

Sounds about right.

My I6 ZJ gets 15-20 depending on how I baby it
and you have about the same brick-on-wheels
aerodynamics.

I did find that STP Gas Treatment helps a bit.
Ran it to help clean out injectors/etc and got
a few extra mpg on the highway.

Chevron Techron is also a very good additive to clean out injectors
and give a bit of a mpg bonus.

Of course you have to figure out the cost benefit.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old June 7th 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Scott in Baltimore

motorhead wrote:
> Hey Guys,
> How much gas mileage does a 4 cyl. Jeep get? My 97 XJ with 30in tires
> only gets about 17-18 mpg....thanks....

As much as I like my '97 TJ SE, the 4 banger auto gets maybe 13 MPG.
I have 235/75R15 tires on it.
Old June 7th 08, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Scott in Baltimore wrote:
> motorhead wrote:
>> Hey Guys,
>> How much gas mileage does a 4 cyl. Jeep get? My 97 XJ with 30in
>> tires only gets about 17-18 mpg....thanks....

> As much as I like my '97 TJ SE, the 4 banger auto gets maybe 13 MPG.
> I have 235/75R15 tires on it.

Have you ever replaced the O2 sensor? They do drift over time and
cause the engine to run rich. Thing is that small drift doesn't
cause a fault and you can only actually see it with a scope or the
high buck scantool.

I also ran across the concept that the battery can be a MPG drain
if it can't hold a proper charge. Makes sense if you think about
the alternator drag trying to maintain a weak battery.

with gas prices the way they are, every fraction helps. :/

--
DougW

Old June 8th 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Garth Almgren[_2_]

Around 6/6/2008 9:23 PM, motorhead wrote:

> Hey Guys,
> How much gas mileage does a 4 cyl. Jeep get? My 97 XJ with 30in tires
> only gets about 17-18 mpg....thanks....

Sounds about right. Mine gets 15-16 MPG with 31s and the hardtop on.

--
~/Garth - 1993 Wrangler S 2.5
{ }|||||||{ } "MukYJ"
Old June 8th 08, 05:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_28_]

"motorhead" > wrote in message
> Hey Guys,
> How much gas mileage does a 4 cyl. Jeep get? My 97 XJ with 30in tires
> only gets about 17-18 mpg....thanks....

I'm getting 23-25 but I live in the mountains and hardly ever go over 60
except when going downhill. I also have a cat-back, electric radiator fan
and Turbo City Rock-It! air tube. I believe the speed thing is key. 55-60
mph, max. Well sometimes I can't help myself. One time I had it going 85
and passed a CJ-7. If you really want better mileage put 205/75R15 tires on
it, or put low profile tires on stock rims. Even with 4.11 gears I think my
4.0 cylindre YJ is geared a little too high, even for highway use.

There are some performance goodies for the 2.5 litre engine, and in my
experience they help mileage a lot more than power, but that's what you want
now, right? A cat-back is probably a good start.

Cheers,

Earle

Old June 8th 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
motorhead

Thanks for your responses...
I think I didn't make myself clear. My Cherokee has the 4.0 liter 6cyl.
I was hopeing a 4cyl Wrangler got better mileage so I would have a
good excuse to get me one. You would think it would? Maybe cause it
takes more power to run? The 4 cyl has to work harder than the 6 would?
Still doesn't seam right . What is the purpose of making a 4 cyl then?
...Oh, yeah, money....

Old June 8th 08, 05:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_28_]

"motorhead" > wrote in message
> Thanks for your responses...
> I think I didn't make myself clear. My Cherokee has the 4.0 liter 6cyl.
> I was hopeing a 4cyl Wrangler got better mileage so I would have a
> good excuse to get me one. You would think it would? Maybe cause it
> takes more power to run? The 4 cyl has to work harder than the 6 would?
> Still doesn't seam right . What is the purpose of making a 4 cyl then?
> ..Oh, yeah, money....

Off road they do really well stock, because of the 4.11 gears. I am getting
23-25 mpg, but that Turbo City stuff cost a few hundred dollars. One of the
posters with a 4 cyl. has an automatic, don't forget that. In Europe, where
they have had high fuel prices "forever" you never see an automatic unless
it is in a Mercedes or a Rolls. Even the taxis have stick shift.

You are not going to realize a fuel savings going from a Cherokee to a
Wrangler, because let's face it the aerodynamics of the Wrangler are even
worse than the Cherokee. The purpose of making a 4 cylinder was to make the
vehicle cheaper and to pass some of that savings on to the customer. I had
a neighbor once with a two door four cylinder Cherokee. Now that's a pretty
good combination. But you can't take the top off.

Cheers,

Earle

Old June 8th 08, 06:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Garth Almgren[_2_]

Around 6/7/2008 9:39 PM, motorhead wrote:

> Thanks for your responses...
> I think I didn't make myself clear. My Cherokee has the 4.0 liter 6cyl.
> I was hopeing a 4cyl Wrangler got better mileage so I would have a
> good excuse to get me one. You would think it would? Maybe cause it
> takes more power to run? The 4 cyl has to work harder than the 6 would?
> Still doesn't seam right . What is the purpose of making a 4 cyl then?
> ..Oh, yeah, money....

Honestly, I don't know why every Wrangler didn't come with the 4.0L.
Wranglers are aerodynamic bricks, and from what I've read here the 4.0
often gets *better* mileage than the 2.5 because it doesn't have to work
as hard pushing it through the air at interstate speeds.

On mine, I have to downshift out of 5th for even slight hills on the
interstate. It's less of a problem since I installed a 4.0 throttle
body, and I did see a slight 1-2 MPG increase, but it's still no 4.0.

--
~/Garth - 1993 Wrangler S 2.5

289/302 gas mileage? Ridin' 4 Jesus Ford Mustang 5 May 3rd 07 01:59 AM
Mileage Ellen L Hawley 4x4 0 January 22nd 06 08:47 PM
Better Gas Mileage [email protected] VW air cooled 3 September 6th 05 12:09 AM
Mileage down The Wolf Ford Explorer 9 June 28th 05 01:39 PM
High Mileage VW Bug Mileage Paul Regal VW air cooled 51 April 5th 05 07:36 AM