Number of active iRacing members?

Old May 26th 09, 06:29 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Niles Anders

Default Number of active iRacing members?

wrote:
> On May 26, 1:47 am, "jeffareid" > wrote:
>> While total membership was growing towards 9,000 players,
>> the number of active players hovered around 6,000 for over
>> 6 months, based on the posts I've read.

> Must have been a misunderstanding (or simply false information). They
> have posted active subscription numbers only twice: in March it was
> 8,000, in December 6,000. Six months before December they didn't even
> have close to 6,000 subscriptions total.

I race in rFactor based leagues that are populated decently, that have a
number of iRacers in them. Those members comment that they still race in
their rFactor leagues because they know there is going to be a good
field to race against and that's not always true with their iRacing.
Also their long term established SIM racing friends are there.

It appears that their model struggles to deliver the ability to retain
members. I speculate that they will raise their prices to get their
members more heavily vested in their software so they are more likely to
stick with it because of their investment.

I'm so comfortable with my rFactor leagues and our races are always
populated well and the drivers are so good I have little motivation to
return to it no matter how good it is.
Old May 26th 09, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jeffareid

> I speculate that they will raise their prices to get their members more heavily vested in their software so they are
> more likely to stick with it because of their investment.

Just add more cars and tracks with the one time fees. The players will
then feel an obligation to keep renting iRacing because of all the one
time fees they paid for content, which I think is part of iRacing's
marketing strategy, one designed to get players to pay a relatively
high amount of money for a racing game ($500+ (USA) in 3 years if
including cars and tracks purchased during that time).

The issue iRacing is is a small target audience for a large budget game.
EA spends similar amounts on NFS games, but with sales figures
ranging from 5 million to 9 million it can be done with a reasonably
low cost per player basis.

Old May 26th 09, 07:54 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David Fisher's Left Testicle

"Niles Anders" > wrote in message
>> On May 26, 1:47 am, "jeffareid" > wrote:
>>> While total membership was growing towards 9,000 players,
>>> the number of active players hovered around 6,000 for over
>>> 6 months, based on the posts I've read.

>> Must have been a misunderstanding (or simply false information). They
>> have posted active subscription numbers only twice: in March it was
>> 8,000, in December 6,000. Six months before December they didn't even
>> have close to 6,000 subscriptions total.

> I race in rFactor based leagues that are populated decently, that have a
> number of iRacers in them. Those members comment that they still race in
> their rFactor leagues because they know there is going to be a good field
> to race against and that's not always true with their iRacing. Also their
> long term established SIM racing friends are there.
>
> It appears that their model struggles to deliver the ability to retain
> members. I speculate that they will raise their prices to get their
> members more heavily vested in their software so they are more likely to
> stick with it because of their investment.
>
> I'm so comfortable with my rFactor leagues and our races are always
> populated well and the drivers are so good I have little motivation to
> return to it no matter how good it is.

Will you go 'on the attack' against iRacing in the future?

Old May 27th 09, 06:38 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Niles Anders

David Fisher's Left Testicle wrote:

> "Niles Anders" > wrote in message
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Must have been a misunderstanding (or simply false information). They
>>> have posted active subscription numbers only twice: in March it was
>>> 8,000, in December 6,000. Six months before December they didn't even
>>> have close to 6,000 subscriptions total.

>> I race in rFactor based leagues that are populated decently, that have
>> a number of iRacers in them. Those members comment that they still
>> race in their rFactor leagues because they know there is going to be a
>> good field to race against and that's not always true with their
>> iRacing. Also their long term established SIM racing friends are there.
>>
>> It appears that their model struggles to deliver the ability to retain
>> members. I speculate that they will raise their prices to get their
>> members more heavily vested in their software so they are more likely
>> to stick with it because of their investment.
>>
>> I'm so comfortable with my rFactor leagues and our races are always
>> populated well and the drivers are so good I have little motivation to
>> return to it no matter how good it is.

> Will you go 'on the attack' against iRacing in the future?

Yes
Old May 27th 09, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David Fisher's Left Testicle

"Niles Anders" > wrote in message
> David Fisher's Left Testicle wrote:

>>> I race in rFactor based leagues that are populated decently, that have a
>>> number of iRacers in them. Those members comment that they still race in
>>> their rFactor leagues because they know there is going to be a good
>>> field to race against and that's not always true with their iRacing.
>>> Also their long term established SIM racing friends are there.
>>>
>>> It appears that their model struggles to deliver the ability to retain
>>> members. I speculate that they will raise their prices to get their
>>> members more heavily vested in their software so they are more likely to
>>> stick with it because of their investment.
>>>
>>> I'm so comfortable with my rFactor leagues and our races are always
>>> populated well and the drivers are so good I have little motivation to
>>> return to it no matter how good it is.

>> Will you go 'on the attack' against iRacing in the future?

> Yes

Regardless?

Old May 28th 09, 02:54 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Niles Anders

David Fisher's Left Testicle wrote:

> "Niles Anders" > wrote in message
>> David Fisher's Left Testicle wrote:

>>> Will you go 'on the attack' against iRacing in the future?

>> Yes

> Regardless?

Regardless of what?
Old May 28th 09, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David Fisher's Left Testicle

"Niles Anders" > wrote in message
> David Fisher's Left Testicle wrote:

>>> Yes

>> Regardless?

> Regardless of what?

Never mind.

Old June 9th 09, 06:43 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Alan Bernardo[_5_]

"Dr. Who" > wrote in message
> > wrote in message
>
> It's places like that that I like to get all my information, too.
>

> Learn to read between the lines. It's quite obvious that iRacing is not
> doing all that great. Whether it is 6,000 or 10,000 doesn't matter because
> both figures are quite poor for an online only game.

Yeah, iRacing is way too restrictive for a pay service. I mean, I jumped on
the ol' wagon with a band and took iRacing's offer of 25 bucks for three
months. I went there, noticed the same old thing, and lost interest within
days.

They got my cash; but until they change the way they do things, I ain't
going back.

Alan

Old June 12th 09, 05:24 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Brian G.

I am on the iRacing service.
With the yearly credit when you pre-pay, I am paying $8 a month to
race.
I am an infrequent racer, who has not purchased any additional content
(so I know I am not helping the business model), but I will continue
to subscribe to the service for as long as they keep it running.
I don't think making the monthly charge more is going to bring more
people in, but I do think things like the 3 months for $25 will bring
in the type of people who will find iRacing to their liking.
I can find a full practice field at the times I can play, and racing,
in the default classes is never empty.
So I am happy with it.
I don't see the restrictions that are bothering others. Are you
talking car paint? Types of Mods? I think it is a well run and fair
form of online sim racing.

Old June 13th 09, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jeffareid

> I don't see the restrictions that are bothering others.

Restrictions:

The races that are held only once every 2 hours.

The long time it takes to progress your way through months of
online play until you're "allowed" to use the better cars.

Marketing scheme:

The idea of including one time fees with a rental service just seems
like a ploy to get racers to continue renting iRacing since they
paid so much in the way of one time fees.

The cost:

My guess is that 3 years of iRacing costs about $500 or more. For most
of us, no game is worth that kind of money. I realize that hobbies
cost money, but in spite of the hype, iRacing is just another game,
not a hobby.